My youngest potty training before her big sister?...

I have 2 small girls.. ages 1 & 2. My 2 yr old will be 3 this June & we are trying to potty train her. My other daughter is a 1 yr old and she is showing signs that she wants to potty train, she takes off her diaper whenever she can, the girls sleep with my husband & I. Sometimes my 1 yr old would take off her diaper in middle of the night and sleep without it.. but she doesnt pee when shes without her diaper. This morning though as I was getting their clothes out for the day my 1 yr old took off her diaper and sat on her sisters potty.

My questions:

Have you ever been through anything like this? is this normal for this age? What should I do as far as getting my oldest to use the potty before her younger sister does..? and are there any other advice you can give?

navajomama7

Asked by navajomama7 at 11:45 AM on Mar. 4, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i also have a 2 & 1 year old (turning 27 and 14 months this month) and sometimes i wonder the same thing. neither of them are ready though, but my 1 year old is further advanced at her age than my 2 year old was, in all things like speech, motor skills, development, etc. so im preparing myself mentally for either both of them to train at the same time, or even for the youngest to get it first. my 2 year old is slightly delayed in everything else, so i have a feeling she won't be ready for potty training til 3, when the youngest is about to turn 2. it could very well happen that way. but even if it does, why worry about it? they will both be potty-trained when ready, and even if the youngest goes first, it's perfectly fine. it may even motivate your older one more to use the potty. good luck mommy!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:49 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Sounds like you need 2 potties. Train the one who's receptive. My twin sons did not train at the same time; the younger one was trained months before his brother. The AAP has a great book (see about borrowing it from the library) that goes over all the different methods. With my 3 kids, they each were receptive to a different method.
    JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 11:50 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• id also like to add, some kids are further advanced than others. the same thing can be said for siblings. they will come around at their own pace =)
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:50 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• My oldest 2 are 16 months apart. #1 was hard to pt - by the time we finally got her going on it, #2 was old enough to know what was going on, and basically pt'd herself while we pt'd #1. She has fewer accidents, slept in panties before #1, etc - so yes, it's very possible, if she wants to do it let her do it. It'll save your sanity in the long run ;).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• My baby brother was around 1 when he wanted to potty train. Once he realized that grownups didn't use diapers and they used toilets, he insisted that he do so too. Oldest little one took forever to get it all right. depends on the kid. I see nothing wrong with the younger getting trained first, kids do things when they are ready.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• My 2nd and 3rd are 18 months apart - they potty trained at the same time. My son was not quite 3, my daughter was not quite 18 months.
    My only advice is praise, praise, praise when the younger one goes - my older one wanted the praise his sister was getting!

Answer by missanc at 1:10 PM on Mar. 4, 2011