Does anyone know how long a C/T scan takes?

I have a C/T scan scheduled on Tuesday for my sinuses and I was just wondering if you knew approx how long you are actually in the CT machiene for? I have bad anxiety esp in places where I feel I am "stuck". So I was just wondering because I am trying to see how long I need to prepare myself for. Thank you!

Cassidysmom611

Asked by Cassidysmom611 at 12:08 PM on Nov. 21, 2008 in Health

• I GOT ONE THREE MONTHS AGO TO SEE IF I HAD A CLOT IT WAS ONLY LIKE 5 MINUTES AND I HATE TO BE IN TIGHT AREAS ALSO YOU WILL BE OK CHEER UP !

Anonymous

• I just had one on abdomen, it took 20 minutes. Some places now have open scanners. But if yours doesn't, keep your eyes closed and imagine that you are out in the open. Do not open your eyes. Think about your breathing. Breathe in for 6, hold, breathe out for 6. Concentrate on doing this. Think again about being out in the open. Concentrate on breathing again. Something else you can concentrate on is relaxing every part of your body. Start with relaxing your toes, then relax the sole of your foot, then the top of the foot, then the ankle. Work up. Go back and make sure everything is relaxed. Count your breaths again. And so forth. The test will be over and you will be comfortable. I had a sinus scan a few years ago but don't remember if it was CT or not. For whatever I had I was not put in a machine at all.

Answer by Bmat at 1:15 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• I just wanted to wish you luck with your scan. I haven't had one(Thank God). let me know how it goes. -Amy
    rocamom

Answer by rocamom at 1:30 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• It depends on the scan...some take longer than others. It won't be more than 20 min or so at max, and for a sinus thing, probably no more than 5 or 10. It's a little intense the first time, I know...but just remember to breathe! try meditation...concentrate only on your breathing, imagine seeing the oxygen slowly filling your lungs and then leaving, imagine all of the muscles in your body, starting from the top of your head and slowly moving towards your feet relaxing. Visualize it. You'll be so busy with that, that you won't notice the scan is over!
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 3:33 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• I had a head CT for an acute nasty headache and they did it to rule out a brain bleed or tumor. It was about 15 mins and mine was enclosed and LOUD! I don't tend to feel clausterphobic but with the raging headache I had and the headblocks that were encasing my head in a vice grip like hold it was bad! I made the mistake of opening my eyes once, DON'T DO IT! Keep your eyes closed and try to tune out the noise.

Just keep your eyes closed and breathe.
    AudreyJ

Answer by AudreyJ at 10:56 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Its only for a few minutes. CT machine, is smaller, and you are not stuck in it, like an MRI machine. If you have bad anxiety I would call the ordering doctor for the test, and ask for something to relax you. He call call in some valium or some kind of other relaxant. Good luck
    Reggie2

Answer by Reggie2 at 7:53 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• I agree with the above poster. CT's are usually open- just like a big circle you go through. And they're usually pretty fast. MRI's are the ones where they stick you in the machine and you can be in there for a while. But- the doctor can usually order something for you if you are really anxious (just make sure you have someone to drive you!) Good Luck!
    Greenbeans422

Answer by Greenbeans422 at 12:00 AM on Nov. 23, 2008