Very frustrated and very worried.

I moved into a home 2 weeks ago. When we had the ducts cleaned out back in December, the guy told us we had mold in our duct work and there was mold on the vents. We had the duct work and vents treated for mold. We had a mold inspector come out and he told us it's unlikely that there was mold in the vents and he inspected our basement and crawl space and told us we didn't have a mold problem. So sine we moved in, I've been extremely sick. I have sinus pressure, pain, watery eyes, ears are ringing constantly. I feel miserable. I went to pcp and he said it was an allergy. They did put new carpeting in home in December but only in family room and bedrooms upstairs. I have aired out the house a lot. If I don't have a mold issue, what could this be? I live in NJ> Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:08 PM on Mar. 4, 2011 in Health

• I wouldn't discount that you have a mold problem.
    Anonymous

• The carpet takes a REALLY long time to off-gas, as does all the paint, sealants, and anything else that was reno'd before you moved in. With us, we found out that there was cat hair in the window sills. Once we cleaned and vacuumed out the sills, the allergy stuff went away.

Give the carpet some more time, make sure you are vacuuming alot (it also holds alot of dust when it comes new) and get a hepa for a while. I bet it gets better soon for you.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 12:13 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• It's that time a year again....allergies, sinuses.
    If the inspector said you do not have mold...then I highly doubt you have mold.
    Chloesmom1126

Answer by Chloesmom1126 at 12:14 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• See about going to an envoronmental testing place. Mold may be an issue. If it is, you want to test for it. They should set out a pad of some sort and culture it for a while. Did the previous owner have pets? That could be the allergy source. Did your doctor tell you what you're allergic to?
    JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 12:16 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I heard from A/C experts that cleaning out ducts is dangerous. It puts all sort of crap in to the air. I know it's too late now that it's done but maybe you could buy some room purifiers to get that out of the air whether from the duct cleaning or carpet

Answer by admckenzie at 12:23 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I know I'm allergic to mold, dust, and cats from previous testing. However I'm seeing an allergist next week. From what I have read, mold is in every home to some degree. But the guy who inspected our home is a certified mold specialist. I seriously doubt he could tell us we don't have mold if we did.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:25 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• omg get a second opinion! that sounds like you have a huge mold issue , then sue the other company !
    stella73

Answer by stella73 at 12:45 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I think I would get a second opinion if you are still having a problem with this allergies are not fun I have them year round and am also allergic to cats, dust, mold and pollen. Good luck
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 9:02 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• I kind of had this same situation. I thought it was actually the carpet in my home that was causing me to have these allergy attacks. I changed all the carpets in my house by using http://www.smartcarpet.com/site/carpet/ and all of my issues and allergy's went away. Now that's what worked for me and I don't know if that's what your problem is. You mentioned that you switched out some of the carpet but maybe you could switch out the rest or you could have them cleaned.
    kamilarson

Answer by kamilarson at 6:27 PM on Oct. 15, 2012