Judge found restrictions to the capitol building in WI unconstitutional, thoughts?

MADISON — State officials have relaxed access restrictions at the Wisconsin Capitol following a judge’s order, but the building isn’t wide open.

The state Department of Administration had opened two entrances on Friday morning. Police were searching everyone who enters, and protesters will be limited to the ground floor. Only a handful of protesters were on the floor.

Protesters had been squatting in the Capitol for more than two weeks straight to complain about Gov. Scott Walker’s collective bargaining bill. On Monday state officials imposed tougher access rules, generally allowing protesters in only when an equal number left.

A Dane County judge issued an order late Thursday night that blocks sleeping in the Capitol but found the restrictions unconstitutional. The order requires broader access by Monday.

How many CHEERED this UNCONSTITUTIONAL MOVE?

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 12:18 PM on Mar. 4, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I saw this article in The Nation and you provided a perfect space for it.

Wisconsin Legislators Move Desks Out of Capitol Locked Down By Governor

A judge has ordered the governor and his aides to open the Capitol.

Obviously shaken by the popular rejection of his proposal—which has sparked protests across the state, including one that drew more than 100,000 people to Madison last Saturday—the governor and his aides have failed to comply with the order. Instead, they have restricted access so severely that, in the words of former Wisconsin Attorney General Peg Lautenschlager, they make a mockery of the state’s tradition of open and accessible government.

adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 12:31 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• And more of the article
    “Opening the Capitol to the public does not mean letting one person in every three hours, as then restricting the movements of that one person once she is inside,” explains Lautenschlager. “The governor and his aides are not respecting the judge’s order; they are in contempt of it.”

As Lautenschlager and her legal team attempt to open the Capitol, some legislators have grown so frustrated with the governor’s lawlessness that they have moved their desks out of the building in order to be accessible to their constituents.

On Wednesday, a number of Democrats state Assembly members began meeting with the people they represent along the outside wall of the Capitol, beneath a banner that read: “Assembly Democrats Are Open for Business.”
    adnilm

• “We are out here because our governor and the Department of Administration are ignoring a judge’s court order,” said Assembly minority leader Peter Barca, who was joined by state representatives Fred Clark, Nick Milroy and Cory Mason.

With them was former US Representative Dave Obey, a Democrat who began his political career as an Assembly member.

Obey said that, on Wednesday, he was denied entry to the Capitol for the first time in his five decades of public service and active citizenship.

The rest may be found at the first link
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 12:32 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I am waiting for those kookies to declare martial law
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 12:33 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• How about the democratic senator who was tackled as he was walking to his office? He had his employee badge out where it was visible, yet 3 police officers tackled him so hard his tennis shoe was ripped off his foot? This was on WISN news. If you want to see the video, go to www.wisn.com and check out the video.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:40 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• But also, "Dane County Circuit Judge John Albert ruled Thursday night that protesters remaining in the building should be immediately removed — along with any unauthorized materials such as sleeping bags and signs taped to the Capitol walls."

So they can rally during set hours...... But they can't Squat... Sounds good to me...

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:51 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• It's called Organized Chaos...

"He ordered the administration to re-open the building to the general public by 8 a.m. Monday, allowing for a permitting process limiting the times and places where rallies can be held."

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:52 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• It says they can go there and get permits and rally BUT only during certain times. They are not required to cater to these people 24 hrs a day. Seems to me they gave these people every benefit allowed and more for way to long.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 1:04 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• How many CHEERED this UNCONSTITUTIONAL MOVE?

How many? I don't know... Do you? ;o)  Was there even a discussion about this before now? Got me.....  I'm sure OP can fill me in.. ;o) However~ it looks like in the end, this was a win for the Gov... No more squatters!!  By the looks of some of those people who essentially set up "camp" in the capital, I wouldn't be surprised if that place needs to be disinfected,  fumigated, and purged, over the weekend... 

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:12 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I didn't cheer that they were keeping people out of the capitol..... I also didn't cheer when people where asked to leave and didn't.

I also want to know what the damage costs will actually be. I don't think the ones yesterday of 7.5 million were accurate at all.

Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 1:17 PM on Mar. 4, 2011