How can get my kids to clean their rooms without a fight?

jlassiter29

Asked by jlassiter29 at 12:24 PM on Mar. 4, 2011 in General Parenting

• bribe them
    Anonymous

• I clean their rooms in the morning but after that they are on their own. If do not clean they know no snack after dinner so they clean their rooms since do not want to miss snack time. Plus I put everything in tubs so easy to know where things go and that helps as well.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 12:28 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Offer them incentives....

Answer by older at 12:30 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Make it contest between the kids to do who can do the most the fastest..
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 12:33 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Reward them- extra tv/ computer time, play a board game, cook their favorite meal, let them pick the movie for movie night
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 12:35 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• How old are they? My boys are 3 & 4 and they clean their own room - BUT, I do coach. I will go in with them and point out things that need done and encourage them as they clean. Kids loose focus very easily and need some prodding, but if you're fighting with them that's not helping anyone.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:37 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I appreciate the feedback! My kids are 8, 5, and 4.
    jlassiter29

Comment by jlassiter29 (original poster) at 12:43 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• bribery!
    stella73

Answer by stella73 at 12:43 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Bribes, incentives, no choices. My oldest complains when she has to clean her room and takes forever. So I added $.50 to her allowance (she has to pay for her Girl Scout dues) it came with a no whine clause. And my hubby tells her to stay up there till it is done, she is up there all day then when she gets hungry it takes about 30 min do clean. I figure in time she will learn to just get it done.

Find out what your child really wants and use it as leverage. Works wonders.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 12:51 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Gee if you figure that one out, let me know. My kids were good at cleaning their rooms when they were little....then they became those off creatures known as teens...and their idea of cleaning became a really quick shoving of everything under their beds or into a closet....lord help the person who opened that closet door....

A couple of times I took a huge garbage bag in their rooms and if it was on the floor, it went into the trash....that seemed to cure it as they found they were missing things....and no I didn't give them back....it actually went out in the trash.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 12:52 PM on Mar. 4, 2011