Husband acts like a child, what can I do?

We have been together for almost 7 years married and it doesn't matter what it is he throws a fit over simple things. Today it's steak, he was sicker then a dog, everything coming out both ends last night, body weak today and he wants steak for dinner, I asked him if he though that was a good idea and he slams the freezer door and screams at me because he was excited about it all week. I didn't tell him "NO you can NOT have steak" I just don't think it's a great idea, and he would be the one grilling it anyway, so what do I really care? I am just so tired of his tantrums like this. I do not want to act like his mother, but how do I get him to understand that he needs to grow up?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:32 PM on Mar. 4, 2011 in Relationships

• That's completely disrespectful for him to act that way, especially over some steaks. I would just not engage with him when his fits start. Just walk away and eventually he will get the hint that you're over it.
    Rileysmom25

Answer by Rileysmom25 at 12:34 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Don't give him the satisfaction of a response. Ignore the fool until he can talk to you like a human being and not a dog.
    Anonymous

• tell him that it pisses you off. I could never be with someone who acted that way. It wears on the person who has to deal with it
    dbodani

Answer by dbodani at 12:35 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I don't even have any advice to offer because I would probably be divorced in that situation. Kuddos to you for not loosing your cool right back.
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 12:36 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• When my husband has done stuff like this I call him on it. I tell him flat out that he is acting like a toddler. He gets pissed but only cause he realizes it. Then he apologies. Have you tried calling him out on his behavior?
    mslksdh

Answer by mslksdh at 12:37 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• OH yes I have called him out on it, I have yelled back at him, I have flat out told him to grow up, he always tells me he is sorry and that he shouldn't act that way but then something else will set him off and he will act like a two year old again. It does get exhausting trying to figure out what buttons are going to be enough to push him (even unintentionally, come on I asked him about steaks!) and what doesn't, so a lot of the time I just do it all on my own. This is nothing new, I am just trying to get some help here, yes I married him, yes we have been close to divorce because I can't stand to raise FOUR boys instead of three (which scares me even worse because I don't want THEM to act like he does when they are adults)...just looking for some help...so thanks so far.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:41 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Put him in time out. lol Treat him th age he acts.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 12:42 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• if he's been throwing up his sugar might be low. I say do all you can to keep him fed in ways that he likes (within reason) and get a pair of ear plugs.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 12:52 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• wow lol , You need to put your foot down sister!
    stella73

Answer by stella73 at 1:04 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I'd walk away from his outbursts and eventually I'd walk away completely away.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 1:48 PM on Mar. 4, 2011