How did you decide?

I have been researching dog information over the past few weeks, so I can be well informed about all things "dog". I havnt have one in over 15 years so needed to do some reading! I am in no hurry(tho, dd is, lol) I would like a puppy/dog(may do a rescue, if right one comes up) Although I am wanting one that is medium/to big, but not large. I am thinking Cocker spaniel, collie, lab, golden retriever, pug, beagle...They alll seem to be nice. I have a yard, will be walking it everyday, grooming, have the food picked out, have been checking out pet stores for all the supplies etc.
Advice?

minimo77

Asked by minimo77 at 12:38 PM on Mar. 4, 2011 in Pets

• Go to the local shelters and tell them what you wrote here and see if you find the right dog. You are prepared, now take the plunge.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 12:41 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I would consider a golden or lab to be large dogs.

How active are you going to be with the dog? Working dogs like collies and retrievers need lots of outdoor exercise. They are usually very friendly.

If you want something more for indoors, a cocker or pug are great. Pugs tend to have sinus issues due to their smooshed faces, so expect some snoring.

Beagles are great, but they really have a distinctive bark that some may find annoying.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 12:44 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Go rescue one from the pound, you will be saving a life.

Answer by older at 12:46 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• When I was looking, my criteria was, no drooly dogs and ones that don't shed like crazy with long fur. We settled on a staffordshire terrior. She is so very sweet and protective. The only advice is, if its not "fixed" get that done right away. Good luck and enjoy!
    parajumper3

Answer by parajumper3 at 12:49 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• we are big dog people but the best dog we ever had was a boxer,they are very intelligent,loving,playful good luck no matter where you chose to get it from im sure he will have a good home.
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 12:50 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• First, Labs, Collies and retrievers are considered large dogs. How much time will you have to devote to this animal? Cockers and collies have grooming needs unlike a lab or beagle. Will you really want to bathe and brush a dog weekly? If you really don't care which of these dogs you get then check out the papers and the prices. Call the people and ask them what they like about the breed. Decide on a couple and get online and research the breed.
    I agree with the others that you should check out the shelters in your area. There are many dogs needing good homes that are not purebred. They are perfectly loving and intelligent dogs.
    Try this
    http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/search.htm
    or this
    http://animal.discovery.com/breedselector/dogselectorindex.do
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:58 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I have beagles and they r gentle ,nice and they do bark when there is a person who does not live there approaches the house. They r loyal,loving dogs and they r very good with kids of all ages!! All dogs bark buy they only bark if they want to come in,that is hardly ever! They r good family protectors and easy to train. If u want anymore information just message me. The labs and spaniels as well as the goldens r not good for young kids under 9 years old. I have done research too.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 3:31 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• If you have room and the time to take them for 2 45 min exercise sessions a day I would hands down recomend the Golden...best money we ever spent, great with kids and thinks he is a lap dog, gentel and loving and loyal.

salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:48 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I got my dog from a shelter, and she is the greatest little dog that I have ever had since my Tiny. She was a beagle mix. Sophie is a border collie/chow chow. mix. Pet shops get their puppies from puppie mills. There are a lot of dogs that need homes that are in shelters. There are puppies in the shelters too.
    stitchintime

Answer by stitchintime at 11:13 PM on Mar. 9, 2011