What would you do in this situation?

My son has had a lot of absences this year. But his grades are good, and he is not behind in school....4 of those absences are unexcused because he didn't turn in the notes, and the school did not call me on it until it was too late to change them to excused. Next week we are supposed to be taking a trip to see my daughter and nephew. I sent the school a note informing them of this. The school called me today and told me that if I took him it would be unexcused and I would be going to court. How would you handle this situation?

Anna92464

Asked by Anna92464 at 12:56 PM on Mar. 4, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• I don't know what will happen if you go. I do know that a friend of my daughter's was actually removed from her home due to excessive tardiness and absenses. She is now in the custody of her grandmother. Don't want to scare you , but be careful. If it is at all possible to reschedule the trip I would. Nine absenses is alot. The principal at our school sends a nasty letter after 6 here. I believe here after 12 they must report it to the department of child welfare. The don't do excused or unexcused here. We are required to call if they are absent and send in a note when they return. If they are out more than three consecutive days they request a doctor's note.
    jcm62497

Answer by jcm62497 at 1:28 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• how many absences has he had? well me i would still go cuz i just dont let other people tell me what to do with my child. and if his grades are good and he isnt behind it wouldnt worry me,but thats just me
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 1:00 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• What? Dosnt the system have criminals to deal with? Why is anyone wasting time on absences??? so dumb.... I dont know what I"d do.... laugh at them or ?
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 1:00 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• What is your son's school policy on absences? Have you discussed the situation with the superintendent or principal?
    jlassiter29

Answer by jlassiter29 at 1:11 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Yes, we don't really live in a free country, do we? I'm going anyway, but I will end up in court...I've seen them do it....and then I'm seriously considering pulling him out to homeschool again....
    Anna92464

Comment by Anna92464 (original poster) at 1:12 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• He's had 9 absences, by the way, all of them legitimate...4 are marked unexcused because he didn't give them the notes I wrote, and they didn't call us on it.
    Anna92464

Comment by Anna92464 (original poster) at 1:13 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Oh, they are following their policy. And I am trying to get ahold of the person in charge at the school board, but they have not returned my call yet...Had I lied and just took him out and said he was sick, there would have been no problem, but my husband wanted me to be honest and do the right thing (and so did I, really), and this is the reward for honesty.... lovely...
    Anna92464

Comment by Anna92464 (original poster) at 1:16 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• By the way, their policy is unacceptable in a free country, as far as I'm concerned.
    Anna92464

Comment by Anna92464 (original poster) at 1:17 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Wow, JCM, where do you live? Russia? ....I do hear you....I am going to arrange for him to stay home if I cannot resolve this, but I am also going to homeschool him next year AND get politcally active on this issue.....I am so tired of being told I'm free when I actually live in a police state.
    Anna92464

Comment by Anna92464 (original poster) at 1:34 PM on Mar. 4, 2011