Potty training at early age? Or wait?

My son is only 8 months old....I know that he really wouldn't understand "going to pee pee in the potty", but I have a friend that started potty training her baby at a newborn age (also called elimination communication) and her baby is 12 months and fully potty trained. I thought is was absurd, but now that she is potty trained-I have started thinking "just maybe early potty training is not a bad idea!" LOL.

Has anyone else started potty training at an early age?
When did you (or do you plan to) begin potty training??

RiaChristine

Asked by RiaChristine at 12:57 PM on Mar. 4, 2011 in General Parenting

• I have met other people that have done this "early potty training" to. Seems so bizarre to me. I don't know what to think of it,. My daughter is 13 months and I have been wondering the same thing.... When should I start the process. I looked at potty chairs the other day. I think I will start getting DD introduced to it soon.
    AshellG27

Answer by AshellG27 at 1:01 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• i potty trained my dd when she was 12months. she got it... my mom potty trained me at 9 months. so its possible...

but remember that boys are a little harder then girls...

good luck
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 1:02 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• i waited till my dd showed signs of readiness... just think are you doing it for the child, or bragging rights?.. :-)
    Are you ready to accept the challenge.. cuz it isnt easy lol :)
    good luck!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 1:13 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Mine all started on their 3rd -day and they were fully trained within 2 weeks to includ the night time! I find it easier when they can understand! JMHO
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 2:02 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I began potty training with both kids when they showed classic signs of readiness. When they were curious, we got them a potty seat and let them experiment with it. DD would drag it around the house like her personal throne. She'd sit on it (clothed and unclothed) to watch TV - not use it the proper way, but at least she was comfortable with it. LOL! When they were each about 2 1/2 we started talking more about training. We took a tour of the preschool they'd attend, pointed out they couldn't go if they were in diapers and that was that.

Classic readiness signs? There's a good thorough check list here:
    http://www.babycenter.com/0_potty-training-readiness-checklist_4384.bc
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 2:11 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I don't know. I have a hard time believing a child under a year old (or at a year) is trained fully. I think the parent is trained to read cues. Children ought to be physically capable of withholding their bowel movements and urination (in this case, until they are in the proper spot.) Most children under a certain age lack the physical ability to do that - they are simply NOT physically mature enough yet.

Starting before your child is ready is usually a recipe for frustrated parents and children AND prolonged potty training. Kids that are ready train fast. Kids that aren't take much longer.

I agree with MommaTasha - are you doing this for your daughter or for the bragging rights?
    Anonymous

• Thanks for all the answers....I too thought it was strange to potty train at a young age, but I have indeed seen that it can be done. I am a first time mother, and just wanted to see when other people thought a good age to initiate training.

I also started my baby's reading early- since he was 3 months old---And he has done an incredible job! He points at body parts as he associates them with the words. So, like reading- I was curious if potty training early would be easier for baby too. I am not overly concerned about the time that my baby trains, so I would not train for bragging rights.....Just don't want my baby to be the preschooler trying to finish potty training.
    RiaChristine

Comment by RiaChristine (original poster) at 3:29 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I was potty trained when I was 1yr and half old. I will potty train my son sooner, b/c it's easier when you do it earlier (when they still listens to you). My nephew is 3 and he still not fully potty train yet, I don't want that happen to my son.
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 8:58 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I have never used the Elimination Communication (EC) method, but I find it completely fascinating!! There's a lady in the Potty Training Support group that does it with her children & has had success. Stop by & pick her brain! Good luck in whichever method you choose!
    LovesFredric

Answer by LovesFredric at 4:14 PM on Mar. 6, 2011