Cant believe people parent that way..... adult content

Do you realy baby your children? Do you not let them make choices like what to wear, read (if they can yet), say, what toy(s) they want, where they sit to eat dinner, or what they want to watch on tv?
Do people realy still use baby gates and high chair for the children over the age of 1?

Im just floored that people treat the children like they have no mind of there own! Children ARE people too no matter there age, WHY NOT TREAT THEM LIKE IT?

myboysRmyhero

Asked by myboysRmyhero at 1:08 PM on Mar. 4, 2011 in General Parenting

• Helicopter parents.

I let my child decide what he wants to wear, what he wants to read, etc.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 1:09 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• well my daughter is three and i still choose what she watches on tv there are just somethings i dont want her to see, i do use a baby gate at night when she sleeps in her own bed becuz she wakes up at least once a night and i dont want her wondering down the hallway and falling down the stairs,she wears what she wants unless we are going somewhere and she picks something ridicilous i dont want my children looking bad in public
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 1:11 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I totally see what you're saying, but I'm sure some parents can't believe how you parent yours, or how Simplicity parents hers, or how I parent mine.
    SpaceToast

Answer by SpaceToast at 1:12 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• i agree with jodi205
    newlife627

Answer by newlife627 at 1:13 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I just needed to vent I see it like crazy on here and then 99% of my husband family parents that way and finds it so wrong i allow my son do make his own choices!
    myboysRmyhero

Comment by myboysRmyhero (original poster) at 1:14 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Parenting is each individuals choice whether you agree with it or not.

Answer by older at 1:14 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• My child is 29 months. She's very independent. I still have baby gates on the stairs, and she still uses a high chair. The baby gates function as a safety measure, nothing to do with her independence. Keeps her from falling down - plus it keeps the dog from going upstairs.
    She's too little to sit in a regular chair to eat, and we can't use a booster because our only table&chairs are the folding kind. So she sits in her high chair. Doesn't bother her. She tells me she's hungry, together we decide on a meal, then she asks to sit in her chair. When she's done, she says "Mommy, I'm done." and I let her out. Simple as that.
    Naturally she has a mind of her own, but as a parent, her safety and health is my responsibility. I give her options and let her make her own choices for many small things, but basically yes, she's still a baby. If I let her do whatever she wanted, she'd eat fruit snacks and marshmallows all day.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 1:18 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Yes, I had a baby gate at the top of my stairs after my child turned 1. He was still unstable on the stairs and it's a safety issue. In fact, we bolted it into the wall so it's still there even though he's 2 - OMG I'm an awful parent!
    If I let him choose what to wear, he'd be wearing Thomas short sleeve pjs every day of the year - so no, I don't let him choose his own clothes. If I let him choose what to eat, he's be eating M&Ms for breakfast, lunch and supper - so no, I don't let him choose his own meals. I am very careful about what he sees on tv because many shows I don't feel are appropriate.
    I give him reasonable choices, but I'm the parent and sometimes he just has to follow directions.

Answer by missanc at 1:21 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• As a parent, it's my job to set rules and guidelines and help her to make safe, healthy decisions. That doesn't mean I control everything she does - it means I give her a set of acceptable options for everything, and she chooses which she likes the best. In your eyes, does that make me a bad person, or a bad parent? Do you think good parenting means letting small children do whatever they want, regardless of the impact on their overall health? Do you really think small children are capable of knowing what is good for them and what isn't? To me, that's just anarchy. To let kids run amok and not have any rules and guidelines - that's not even bad parenting. That's NO parenting.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 1:24 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Our job as parents is to work ourselves out of a job. Yes when they are small we need to ensure they're safety and mental well-being so highchairs, baby gates and restricting TV is not a bad thing. As they get older we need to gauge the choices we allow them to make on their physical ability and the maturity level they are at. No one wants a teen that cant' fix himself a sandwich or do a load of laundry but we don't expect a 2 yr old to do these things. It comes gradually and it is up to us as parents to decide when our child is ready for each new responsibility.
    Angelisa67

Answer by Angelisa67 at 1:38 PM on Mar. 4, 2011