Has anyone had hiatal hernia repair surgery, and then got pregnant&had a baby later on?

I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia in September of 2007. It used to not be so bad, the gastroenterologist says "surgery is major, you're better off just taking medication for the reflux." So I took his advice. But then, only a specific medication worked, and insurance doesn't like to cover it - they go back and forth, sometimes will cover, sometimes require prior approval, sometimes won't cover at all...and since there's no generic, it's quite expensive.
Then I got pregnant, had a baby. now it's worse. Sometimes I can barely swallow. I get reflux at least 12 hours a day even if I haven't touched food or any beverage besides water in hours and hours. I can't sleep through the night, and often have to get up and go back to sleep in a recliner. I almost always feel full, and after eating, often feel like food is stuck in my throat. Now I wish I had just had the surgery when I had the chance.
So now, I really would like for this to be corrected - I've read that it does not have to be an open surgery, it can be laparoscopic. But I've also read that it can "come undone" basically, and require a repeat surgery. So I'm a bit stuck. I would love to have another child - but I know with this hernia, pregnancy will be miserable. But I'm afraid that if I get the surgery done, then get pregnant after, say, 6 months....the strain of pregnancy might undo what the surgery fixed. So I'm really concerned and in need of some advice, hopefully from someone who has some first hand experience. Has anyone had surgery to repair a hiatal hernia, then had a baby? How did it go? Is everything still fine, or did your hernia come back, requiring a repeat surgery (or not)?

I will be discussing this with a specialist (someone OTHER than the guy who recommended I just leave the hernia!) as soon as I can, but I would really love some info from people who have had this surgery done.

FluffyMamaBunny

Asked by FluffyMamaBunny at 1:08 PM on Mar. 4, 2011 in Health

• This isn't exactly what you're asking - I'll be up front with that. BUT, my MIL had the surgery, and thinks hers needs to be repaired - she won't get it done though. Part of the problem for her is she's overweight and can't lose. So I don't know if that helps you at all, but if you're so miserable, why not have the surgery, then visit your child options later on?
    Anonymous

• It just seems a bit redundant to have the surgery done if there's a big chance having a baby will undo it anyway. You know? So I just thought I'd see if anyone had experience with it.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Comment by FluffyMamaBunny (original poster) at 3:27 AM on Mar. 5, 2011