Do you think pregnant mothers who are behind bars should be allowed to keep their babies while they serve time?

I have just seen this show called, "Babies Behind Bars." Its a documentry based on pregnant women who are in prison, and gives brith to their babies while incarcerated. Some of these mothers get to keep their babies and some have to give theirs up to a relative or adoption. I dont think these mothers should keep their babies in prison, because they had their chance to live their lives as mothers. Its dangerous for the small babies. What do you think?

navajomama7

Asked by navajomama7 at 1:13 PM on Mar. 4, 2011 in General Parenting

• I'm on the fence with this one.  I've watched shows similar to that and what I seen was relatively safe.  Taking the baby away isn't always just punishing the mother, I think it also punishes the baby.  That's as far as I've gotten in my opinion on this, lol.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 1:15 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• absolutely not that is absurd
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 1:16 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Keep babies with the mothers. The babies aren't going to be involved in gang wars and yes they had their chance but the baby didn't make the mistake and deserves to be with their mommy.
    MelissaAnn224

Answer by MelissaAnn224 at 1:17 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Absolutely not. I've seen that show and it's ridiculous. If you're behind bars, you're obviously not responsible enough to be a parent. Also, you're in jail as a punishment. How is being in a separate area from other inmates and being able to have your children considered punishment? These mothers have already failed as parents and don't deserve to have their children while in jail. I can't imagine it would be a positive environment for babies.
    Rileysmom25

Answer by Rileysmom25 at 1:17 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• When a woman goes to jail for things she's done, she doesn't get to take her children with her.
    Does anyone know if there is a certain amount of time any particular pregnant inmate is allowed to keep their child after the birth? Because if a woman is behind bars for 10 years...does that mean that child grows up for that long behind bars?

I think it's very sad to have a baby raised in jail...
    Anonymous

• You are in jail for committing a crime. What crime could a newborn possibly commit? Being born?
    Sure, they are with their mothers, but those women can't take their babies out into the real world... parks, car rides, even the grocery store.
    Besides, there are women pedophiles, too, and I'd like to hope that most of them are behind bars, but I'd hate to think of babies being locked up with them in any way, shape, or form. Pervs don't have their own special prisons....
    SpaceToast

Answer by SpaceToast at 1:18 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• If you watched the show in it's entirety, they have to have 18 months or less left on their sentence for this to even happen, and no violent crimes. They are also in their own wing. If this is what it takes to get them straightened out and live a respectable, law abiding lives it should be done. They are trying to stop them from re-offending.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 1:18 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I see what you're saying, Christine, but I still can't help but wonder how keeping their babies in prison with them would help them from committing further crime. Many kids are living with relatives or foster homes because their parents continued a life of crime. Having kids doesn't seem to stop that, though it would be wonderful if it did.
    SpaceToast

Answer by SpaceToast at 1:23 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• oh so make the child suffer to see if mommy will straighten up? no i dont agree
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 1:23 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• No child should live inside the prison with the mother. However, I do think they should have the right to keep partial custody, while a family member or the other parent has full custody.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:30 PM on Mar. 4, 2011