Need advice on flying across country with my 5 month old baby!

I am flying from CA to VA with my daughter. It's 3 separate flights and in and out of airports and flights for about 12 hours. I'm so nervous to do this and I am breastfeeding but can I do this on the plane? Are there places in airports to breastfeed? I've nursed in public a couple time, but it's a little awkward and I don't want to make anyone uncomfortable...especially if I'm sitting next to a man on the plane. Can anyone give me some advice on making this trip go as smoothly as possible?

Rileysmom25

Asked by Rileysmom25 at 1:14 PM on Mar. 4, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Flying with infants are much easier than you would expect. It is when they turn into toddlers that it gets a lot harder. Of course you can breastfeed on the plane. If you are sitting next to a gentleman and you are uncomfortable then perhaps use a cover. The same goes with the airport. There are a couple that have areas for families but there are not specific places for breastfeeding. Who cares if anyone is uncomfortable you are feeding your baby. I would get a little more used to it though so you don't have a super frustrating day. When I traveled with just one little one I always wore them on my front and used a back pack to hold everything I needed that way my hands were free. The more little ones I have the easier it is to use a stroller but that is always an option for you.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 1:21 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Thank you! That helps...I never thought of using a carrier so my hands would be free. That also solves the problem of how I will go to the bathroom!
    Rileysmom25

Comment by Rileysmom25 (original poster) at 1:23 PM on Mar. 4, 2011