• In the Spotlight:

Have you ever talked to your infant or toddler in public, dont get a response from you child but a blank stare, and people looking at you weird? lol

Sometimes when I go to the grocery store or mall, I am always talking to my daughters (ages 1 & 2) and I always catch people looking at me weird. lol its funny sometimes.. But I have been doing this since my 2 yr old was a baby.. I was just wondering if any other mothers went through the same thing?

navajomama7

Asked by navajomama7 at 1:17 PM on Mar. 4, 2011 in Just for Fun

• I have a one year old, a two year old, and a two week old.
    I tend to talk to myself as it is. Just saying thoughts aloud as I'm shopping. (Thoughts about choosing a product or something of that nature, not just any random thought. Haha) Having kids there makes it great to not get really weird looks, because then I can pretend I'm talking to them. Haha But yes, I often talk to my kids who usually don't reply.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:28 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I'm sure I do...but I don't notice the stares. In fact, when I read your question, I thought about all the people I see talking to babies that are too young to even understand, but how I don't think a thing of it because I do the same thing! lol
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 1:29 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Yes. It doesn't stop me from doing it though. I just ignore the looks. I only had one person come up to me and ask me why I was talking to my dd when she was younger becasuse she couldn't understand me. I told them that I was talking to her so she could learn to understand and talk. How else would she learn?
    Bugbait

Answer by Bugbait at 1:30 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Yup, I would be talking to myself if they weren't there. Plus with my youngest singing was the best way to calm her down. So I would be singing nursery rhymes while I shopped.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 1:33 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I do it all the time and Ive always done it .. I dont see anything weird or silly about it.. I think its just a good way to teach your kids about things even before they can talk or whatever
    mommato2boys79

Answer by mommato2boys79 at 1:44 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• all the time lololol
    Ericaca

Answer by Ericaca at 3:26 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• If I have gotten stares, I haven't noticed. lol.

But I have always spoken to my daughter in normal conversational structure and she has always had above average language development.

I think it's positive to communicate with your children. How else will they learn how to communicate?

Your children are one and two. I'm surprised by the question because I think it's kind of obvious that you would talk to your toddlers. Why are people giving you weird looks for that? They aren't inanimate objects, they are small people. I also talked to my infant, which I think is also positive.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 4:00 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Bugbait- That's so weird! I can't believe someone walked up and asked you that. How ARE they supposed to learn if we don't model language for them?
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 4:02 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• BTW, my daughter would sign to me at 8-months. It would often be in response to a question (ie "what is that?" and she puts her pointer finger and thumb together repeatedly to signify bird). So, infants do understand what we are talking about. We should definitely talk to them.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 4:04 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• I talk to my daughter (two) all the time and other people be damned. I always talk to her no matter where we go which is why she has such a good vocabulary.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Answer by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 5:36 AM on Mar. 5, 2011