I got a nomination to be a member of the National Society of Collegiate Scholars, but...

The invitation states I need to pay a 75 dollar membership fee to join. It states that the fee goes towards providing benefits and services to it's NSCS members to fund activities,member diplomas, induction ceremony, scholarships and a Leadership Summit. They are a not for profit orginization. I can't help wondering if it is worth it to pay the 75 dollars. What would you do?

proudmom2510

Asked by proudmom2510 at 1:21 PM on Mar. 4, 2011 in Just for Fun

• I would pass, unless I thought I was going to utilize those services.

I get regular invitations to Who's Who.... they all go in the trash.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:22 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I wouldn't do it. It only recognizes your first two years of college, not your entire college experience. But that's just me.

Answer by missanc at 1:24 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• There are a few professional organizations I pay an annual fee to be a member of, but it is because they offer certifications, continuing education opportunities, opportunities for peer-reviewed publication, annual career specific magazines, and opportunities to network with other professionals in the field.

Before you pay anything, definitely think about what it would do for you...what would you personally gain from being a part of the organization. If it is not something that would realistically help you somehow in your education or career, pass on it.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 1:27 PM on Mar. 4, 2011