If u have a gay parent?

Do u think it bothered you or messed up ur head? I have a 1 and a half yr old and have been w my gf for a while and we r getting pretty serious so i jus wanted to hear ur views on growing up w a gay parent.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:21 PM on Mar. 4, 2011 in General Parenting

• I'm a gay mother rasing a five year old boy and he is just like all the other boys in his class. I dont think he realizes yet that our family is different from other families but I am ready for those questions when they come :)
    bhoward87

Answer by bhoward87 at 2:01 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I don't have a gay parent but I wasn't raised in a loving environment...and I think THAT'S what messed me up.

I don't think it matters the genders of the caregivers or parents-children need love and to be nurtured-having a penis and a vagina in the household isn't what will make that happen!
    metalhealthmom

Answer by metalhealthmom at 1:30 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Have you heard about this study? It might make you feel a little better.

http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/news/20051012/study-same-sex-parents-raise-well-adjusted-kids

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/80beats/2010/06/08/lesbian-parents-their-well-adjusted-kids-what-the-study-really-means/
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 1:52 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I don't have a gay parent either, but my very first boyfriend spent half his time at his mother's house and half his time with his father and father's partner growing up. He was a little crazy as a teenager, but has gone on to become a very responsible husband and father.

The phrase "we all have issues" comes to mind...what is "normal" is not black and white, and I think that in this day and age, people are much more accepting of all sorts of different family types...divorced, unmarried, gay, single, living with grandma and grandpa...its all more common than the "nuclear family" sometimes I think.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 1:57 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• My bio dad was gay and I didnt know him because he was gay. It was a different time though when being gay and a parent was much less acceptable. I knew he was gay though since that is why he didnt get to see me. Anyway, it messed with my head mostly because I felt like he was a pervert or bad in some way and maybe that made me bad too. Kids also were pretty mean, and they would laugh and say things when they found out my dad was gay. My best friends dad was also gay (bf in HS) and she did know him, and same thing. It was endless taunting by other kids and gay jokes galore. It sucked.

Answer by gemgem at 2:00 PM on Mar. 4, 2011