• In the Spotlight:

I am worried about having my husbands cat around when my baby get here is is it harmful?

I hate the hair! its everywhere and the disease they carry, and I being over dramatic?

stella73

Asked by stella73 at 1:28 PM on Mar. 4, 2011 in General Parenting

• I've had a cat my entire adult life. Two babies and no problems.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 1:29 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• lol well if it grosses you out then thats that, personally I love cats and it depends on how clean you keep their litter box and up to date on vet appointments/shots/flee and tick meds.
    MelissaAnn224

Answer by MelissaAnn224 at 1:30 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• We've never had any issues at all with our cats and our daughter. She's not allowed near their litter. Our cats are indoors and aren't ill so I don't worry about any diseases they might have. Truthfully, you may be blowing this out of proportion but if you aren't comfortable with cats, I can see where it's coming from.
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 1:31 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• my cat slept with my son for the longest time. he layed right at his feet never got in his face. now we have 2 and i trust both of them (have a 7 month old) i think you can get a sense of how the cat will be around the baby but as far as them being dirty if you keep the litter box clean and take them to the vet you should have no problems
    newlife627

Answer by newlife627 at 1:32 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Yes, you are over reacting.. just keep the house up with cleaning and vaccuming like normal and your baby will be fine.. your Indoor cat should not be carrying around disease lol!~
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:33 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• As long as you clean up and don't allow the cat to sleep with your baby, and very likely the cat will want nothing at all to do with your baby and will avoid him/her after initial curiosity (if even that much attention). I had two cats when I had my first baby and the older on avoided him all together. The younger one peeked at the bassinet once and after avoided him as well. Now I only have one cat and she didn't so much as peek at my second baby's bassinet when we came home from the hospital. We heard all the wive's tales about diseases and them smothering babies trying to get the milk off their mouths. That last one I have never understood. Then again they got their start in the Dark Ages so maybe that is why. Anyway, I have yet to hear of any real danger from having a cat in the same house as a baby.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 1:33 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I had a cat when my youngest was born.She became an outside cat.And she liked being outside.I put a cat carrier on the front porch with a bed pillow in it.And in the winter I put a heating pad under the pillow, for heat.I was concerned about the cat getting in the crib and sleeping with the baby.She was long haired.and I didn't like the idea of him crawling on the floors with the hair.I let the cat come in sometimes after he was older.but she always wanted to go back outside.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 1:34 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I've had cats with all 3 of my children. In fact, my wildest, craziest cat fell in love with my youngest baby. She would sleep at his feet in the crib. She would let him hold onto her tail while I was petting the front end. 6 years later and she still loves this boy. She would sleep in his room if he'd let her but she has a reputation for playing with moving feet.

With my other 2 my cat pretty much had nothing to do with them until the kids were older. The cats then figured out they were another source for good attention. One would occasionally curl up with me and DD as I nursed her.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 1:37 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• thanks ladies, shes is definately not a lap cat , not friendly, maybe that is what it is
    stella73

Comment by stella73 (original poster) at 1:37 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Yes you're over reacting.....we have cats and kids....if there is hair, then vacuum....and diseases they carry? Unless a stray or not tested they don't carry any more diseases than YOU do....chill out
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 1:38 PM on Mar. 4, 2011