What to do about a 3yr. old and a newborn(revised)?

How do I explain to my 3yr. old that he cannot do things that adults do with my new born b/c he is too rough with her. He understands that kisses and touching her hand is ok. But when I tell him no to things he throws a LARGE tantrum. I get that a 3yr. old throw tantrums and they should not go unpunished, but if I can get him to understand then mabey they will be less frequent. And he might understand better that his punishments arn't to be mean but for his sister's safety.

Kimkh

Asked by Kimkh at 1:30 PM on Mar. 4, 2011 in General Parenting

• I would ask him why he wants to do grownup things with baby-sis. Is it that he wants to take care of her? If so I'd give him his own baby (either a doll or stuffed toy) and let him know that while he is too little to 'take care of baby-sis' he CAN take care of his own baby. If it is that he wants to carry her around and rough-house, I would tell him that she is too little and needs 'gentle touch' now, but someday she will grow up and be big enough to play.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 3:06 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• What is he wanting to do that adults do other than picking her up? I let mine sit in the living room chair (with high sides) and hold her briefly. He was fine with that and went off to play.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:37 PM on Mar. 4, 2011