Should I take my daughter to an OB/GYN just because?

She is 11 and have started her period. Should she be going to an OB/GYN just for that reason? Does she need a pap or is it recommended only after becoming sexually active? I'm also interested in learning more about Gardisol(sp) and deciding if it's right for her. I don't feel comfortable taking her to her regular pediatrician anymore because he is a man. I think she should see a woman doctor now and for woman issues if needed.

Hope the statement about her pediatrician wasn't misunderstood. I love him and am happy with him. He's the pediatrician for all my children. I just think by a certain age, a girl should start being seen by a female doctor.

keisha613

Asked by keisha613 at 1:31 PM on Mar. 4, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• I think she should see him only after becoming sexually active or if she has some sort of problem.

Answer by older at 1:32 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• can you change her pedi to a female or a female general practioner?
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 1:33 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• If I remember correctly, you dont get a pap until after being sexually active; and there is nothing wrong with being seen by a girl dr from now on, its not as embarrassing in my opinion; however, in my experience, male dr's have always been more gentle when doing paps women seem to be more rough just cause they have what you have
    My2boys0523

Answer by My2boys0523 at 1:34 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I switched pediatricians within the group my children already went to from the male dr we've always had to a female dr. My daughter is 9 and now sees a female pediatrician. She hasn't started her period yet, but there's no reason for her to see an OBGYN until after she's sexually active.
    There haven't been enough long term studies on Gardasil for me to feel comfortable giving it to my daughter, but I would recommend you read independent studies rather than trust a dr on that issue, especially if you end up seeing someone new.

Answer by missanc at 1:34 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• There is no reason to subject the child to unnecessary exams. There were doctors on tv not long ago that said there is no reason to see a GYN unless there is a problem. Pap smears are not necessary until after she's sexually active. You can find a female general practitioner if you don't want a male doctor.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:35 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I wouldn't go with an OB/Gyn just yet. Time to switch her to a family doctor that you feel comfortable with her seeing and get your answers from her. :)
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 1:32 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• When she's sexually active
    Look for a doc that specializes in adolescents

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:33 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Unless she is having problems with her cycle she probably does not need to see an obgyn. My daughter is 13 and started at 10 and had not been yet. Her pediatrician is a woman and does ask her about her cycle during checkups, She has never performed a pelvic exam though.
    jcm62497

Answer by jcm62497 at 1:35 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• No need to take her to the GYN doctor. Unless she is sexually active. Starting her period is a milestone is not consider a symptom for the patient to see the doctor. If she complaints about abnormal bleeding or strong pain then you could take her to the GYN. She is just 11 no rush to take her to the GYN.
    MMXI

Answer by MMXI at 1:35 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• we take our tots to the dentist and they don't have all their teeth yet.The gyno is something she will have to do anyway.Talk to the doctor and as weird as it is, let her sit in the room when you go.On your end above the sheet of course.One day she will have to go too.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 1:42 PM on Mar. 4, 2011