My second baby is due in 3 days.. and i have a 3 year old girl.. how can i discipline her without making her feel that the baby is the cause

i've recently moved back home with my parents to help mewhen my baby is due.. so my older daughter has been somewhat spoiled by my parents.. so what shall i do now.. discipline her.. but still i don't want her to feel that mamy is mean to me because there's a new baby...

docmamy

Asked by docmamy at 1:34 PM on Mar. 4, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• let her be involved with the baby starting now.Let her be mommy's helper.Tell her over and over what a good helper she is.Tell her the baby loves its big sister already.Then after the baby is here, it may not be so threatening.Make being good fun for the three year old.Give her lots of rewards only when she is good.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 1:37 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Disciplining her should have nothing to do with the new baby. Don't even mention the baby if you have to scold your DD or discipline her. When you talk to her to correct her, focus on her, what she has done to need disciplined and use an appropriate means of discipline, as well.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 1:45 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• And make time for just you and the three year old sometimes.Get grandma to keep the baby for a couple of hours occasionally.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 1:45 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I agree, her discipline shouldn't have anything to do with the new baby. Is your concern that she has been spoiled up until now and if you all of a sudden start disciplining her at the same time a new baby arrives then she will somehow connect the two? I can see that happening, I suppose. I think you need to sit down with your parents and establish the rules and the discipline so that all three of you are giving your oldest continuity and she will know what to expect. Set up the time out system where you give a warning and then a time out if needed and go over it so all three adults do it EXACTLY the same. I think keeping things consistent is key to keeping your 3 year old feeling secure. Start today so that you have a day or two before baby comes, and have grandparents keep at it while you are away delivering the new baby. It's really for your 3 year old's own good. And make being teh big sister super special. Good luck!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:13 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• As long as she being spoiled she wont be diciplined. But shes probally to cute to be fused at anyway.. I think whaten the baby come shell take that roll as a bog sister and you will be so consumed with the baby the little things shes doing will no longer bother you. Oh and good luck ont the birth of your cild in three days.
    BUTTERFLY463

Answer by BUTTERFLY463 at 11:41 PM on Mar. 5, 2011