Woman to shop ONLY at Goodwill for 1 year...what do you think?

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/117375533.html

Beautiful Existence -- yes that’s her real name -- issued that challenge to herself for 2011. Outside of food and medicine, she will provide for her household all year long, by shopping only at Goodwill stores.

"This is really great that we have these options to be able to reduce the amount of waste and the amount of consumerism," Existence said.

A life-long thrift store shopper, Existence tells me she's not only challenging herself, but she's also contributing to the success of non-profits.

"To be able to give back to a community," she said. "It's really nice to see that in person, to see that this is really helping other people. And that what I'm doing is way outside of myself."

There is more to the story, that's just the beginning. This girl was raised on a self-sustaining family farm and apparently was raised to be frugal. I think it's inspiring, what she is doing. However, if you read down into the comments, there are TONS of people who are arguing that what she is doing is nothing spectacular because they can't even afford to shop at Goodwill themselves. I do understand their point of view, but honestly to me most of them sound very bitter. What is your opinion, both on the story and the way people reacted in the comments?

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 1:38 PM on Mar. 4, 2011 in Just for Fun

• I think it's her choice and it's great.  However, being a LIFETIME shopper at thrift stores, what's the difference in what she's doing now and what she was doing before?

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 1:39 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I too believe I've only shopped Goodwill for periods as long as a year because that's all I cared to afford.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 1:40 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• it's certainly achievable and possible....I rarely buy new clothes other than socks, sneakers and undies....and shop mostly at thrift stores, but around here goodwills are still expensive and have junk. Salvation Army and Amvets are cheaper and has better pickins
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 1:40 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• But many of the things--household items like towels, dishes, and such are overpriced anyways. So you are better off looking for a sale in new only stores.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 1:41 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I very rarely buy from department stores now. I just don't see the need to-I have a toddler so my clothes will get messy anyway, lol.

I buy a lot of my accessories from thrift stores, aside from shoes. Even though I'm sure they're clean, I just can't bring myself to wear other's shoes.

Also, with the bed bug crisis, I've been a little wary of shopping there. But I'm uber-paranoid about things like that.
    metalhealthmom

Answer by metalhealthmom at 1:41 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I am not saying I would never shop at a goodwill, but when I went there I saw the prices were rather high for used things, I would rather put a few more dollars in and have new
    stella73

Answer by stella73 at 1:43 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• where I live goodwills prices is the same as walmart we bought a rug at goodwill when we first moved into our house and it was 10 dollars and it was nothing fancy just a bathroom rug I couldnt believe it.
    bhoward87

Answer by bhoward87 at 1:48 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I've purchased some of my best stuff from thrift stores. Don't go to goodwill as around here, they've gotten rather pricey. I sometimes wonder how those with low incomes can afford some of their stuff. I'm mad at them anyway as a couple of years ago, I tried to donate a crib in perfect condition to them and they wouldn't take it. Why? Because due to the size of my car, I had had to take it apart although I had ALL the hardware AND instructions in a baggy and taped very securely to it, I was told I could leave it but they'd just throw it in the trash bin. We don't purchase shoes at thrift stores because our oldest had to have corrective shoes when she was little so we're VERY picky about shoes, proper fit, etc.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 1:53 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I don't think it would be all that hard. Really, if you live in a large enough city where you have several thrift shops you don't need to shop anywhere else for anything other than food and tolietries.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:03 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I don't see the big deal. I prefer new things (I've lived with used so long I'm tired of it) but there's nothing wrong with shopping at Goodwill. Ours has some nice stuff. I've bought all the kids' jeans there since December. They are $5 each for big name brands...many I could never afford in a store and would never buy (I've seen the same ones at Kohl's for $30). Last time I spent $60 and bought 10 pairs of jeans and something else (forget now).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:04 PM on Mar. 4, 2011