My 1 yr old who cries and whines everytime she sees me! HELP PLEASE!!!

I have always been with both my daughters since the day they were born. My youngest is 1 yr old and I recently just started letting my parents, my husband and my cousin sisters babysit her for a few hours of the day as I am trying to wean her. But everytime she sees me, she cries, wants to be held and to be breastfed. Is this normal? Do any other mothers go through this?

navajomama7

Asked by navajomama7 at 1:49 PM on Mar. 4, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Oh yes. My DD has been this way her whole life. She didn't even want anything to do with daddy half her life but at 17 months she's now a daddies girl. It took me months to get her to stay with ANYONE without screaming the whole time. It does get frustrating especially when you have to go but it's only a matter of time until you need HER cuddles and she's independent!
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 5:39 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Not at that age but my son is like that now at 3. He's fine to go off with other people, he likes to go out with other people but as soon as I'm back in the picture he won't let me out of his sight, wants to snuggle, whines that he 'needs' me. It gets frustrating. Right now I'm trying to get him to be content to just sit next to me when I get back home. I guess its just a separation anxiety thing or something. Hang in there and hope it gets better!
    metalhealthmom

Answer by metalhealthmom at 2:37 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Yeah, it sounds like normal separation anxiety. Especially if she's new to weaning... that adds another layer of emotional bond that is being separated. I don't think you are doing anything wrong. She's just at that age. At least she is letting others watch her (when you are not around). That is progress. I know it gets frustrating at times, but I think the best you can do is to give her as much attention as you can when you are around (she's still just a baby.. it's okay to need you), but then just say goodbye and walking away when you have to leave. I really think that the more she's sure that you wil be there when she needs you and that you will come back when you go, the more comfortable she will be without you.

And I'm trying to listen to the mamas with older kids who warn us to enjoy the snuggles while we can. Before long these kids won't want to have us around all the time... and then I'll be sad. :)
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 2:59 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• lol my 1 yr old does the same thing. but she loves my dad and will play all day with him. but wont go near my mom. She hangs out with DH sometimes but the second she sees me im all she wants. Its annoying but wont last forever.
    tomsjennabean

Answer by tomsjennabean at 3:17 PM on Mar. 4, 2011