My 10 month old grandson has been living with my husband and I for 2 months now.

We have court appointed placement. We just got him sleeping by himself and to a point that he is ok not being held most of the time. Now his Mother (our daughter) is visiting once a week for 4 or 5 hours in our home and I noticed he is VERY Clingy with me for a couple of days afterwards. I cant get out of his sight or he cries so hard he makes himslef sick. What can i do and why is he doing this?

GrandmaSue879

Asked by GrandmaSue879 at 1:54 PM on Mar. 4, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• His world has been turned upside down. Getting taken away from his mom to go stay with you is upsetting and confusing to him probably. Now his mom is back in his life is probably confusing to him to.

Are you going to be keeping him permanently or is he going back to his mom eventually?

Answer by louise2 at 2:05 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Unless it's court ordered visitation I'd ask her to hold off on visits for a while if it's upsetting him. There is a reason you have him and she doesn't. I'm not judging I'm just saying "listen" to the little one. His actions say a lot.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:09 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• For whatever reason he was removed from his mom's care to begin with those memories are still there for him and when mom visits he can get stressed out and not feel "safe" like he does with you when she isn't around. We do foster care and see this with the kids every time they have visits with their birth parents. I have an 8 month old who just had his final visit with birth mom two weeks ago and is still adjusting to not seeing her, unfortunately there really isn't much you can do other than reassure your grandson that you are near and that he is okay. Good Luck
    niehoff9

Answer by niehoff9 at 2:10 PM on Mar. 4, 2011