How do you feel about a Latino American Idol?

For instance: Karen Rodriguez or that Jovany guy. I personally don't care but I was watching it with my dad and he complained when they were singing in their native language. I like when people are salient because my family isn't and I've always wanted to have a little bit of culture.

However, I was upset when Karen said "Latino's are back." My reason is because, to me, she is an American and she completely excluded herself. There is nothing wrong with being Latino but why exclude yourself from the group? It may be a little confusing how I feel but I don't have an issue with a Latino American Idol.

How do you feel??

iluvmm09

Asked by iluvmm09 at 1:54 PM on Mar. 4, 2011 in Entertainment

• So? I'm hispanic so you can guess my answer.
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 1:56 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• If you are American, then you are American. If we would stop having all of Latino American or African American or Chinese American nonsense and just be American we might avoid some of the racism.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:57 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• as long as they are a natural born American, idc
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 1:57 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Hahaha that just sounds rasict.. but that is what they are "Latinos." What else should she call them? I think its great that many people take the opprotunity to sing in their own language..
    navajomama7

Answer by navajomama7 at 1:58 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I wasn't being racist at all. I'm not a racist individual this question stemmed from my dad's reaction.
    iluvmm09

Comment by iluvmm09 (original poster) at 2:01 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I can't speak for her but I can speak for myself and the truth is that if I thought of myself as only American, I'd feel like I lost my identity. Probably because although I'm a U.S citizen, I'm not American born. Also, I live a very hispanic lifestyle as far as the food I eat, music I listen to, language I speak, etc. Of course I appreciate American culture and integrate to it, but I can't absorb it fully and neglect my own. This may not be the popular answer but it's the truth(for me).
    Raccoon

Answer by Raccoon at 2:08 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I'm totally with scout_mom on this one! You're either American or you're not! We have the Latino Awards, we have the African American College Fund, we have the Native American Tribal Roll, etc. If we're ALL American, why do we need all that? Those separations are a form of discrimination all on their own.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 2:11 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I don't care what race or ethnic group a person is...if they have a talent for singing, let them sing. As far as your dad's reaction....hmmm...you might ask him how he feels about Placido Domingo; Jose Carreras and Luciano Pavarotti....world renowned singers who often sang in their native languages...the first two being spanish and Pavarotti, Italian. In fact most operas are sung in Italian which is where it originated, I think.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 2:11 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• And, before I get a bunch of rebuttals...I'm not saying ANYONE needs to give up, forget or ignore their or family culture.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 2:14 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• specialwingz that's what I was talking about but I just couldn't figure out the perfect way to say it about separations. Thank you. :)
    iluvmm09

Comment by iluvmm09 (original poster) at 2:16 PM on Mar. 4, 2011