Can organic food cause poop problems in babies?

I babysit a 10 month old. She is fed organic baby food. Her poops are really bad exploding poops...everyone of them. And I mean all the way down her legs and up her back to her head explodes. I talked to her mom and he took her to the dr and they are doing stool samples to find out whats up. I am not a green person and know nothing about organic foods. So I was wondering if the organic food could be causing this??

katiebug840204

Asked by katiebug840204 at 12:26 PM on Nov. 21, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i honestly doubt it is because the food is organic. back in the day before there were pesticides, all food was organic and of course those children survived just fine. i grew up on a farm and my parents only fed me food from the farm they grew themselves which is essentially considered organic. i don't see why then are taking a stool sample just because she has a lot of poop. i'm not a doctor though so i wouldn't know. i think it is healthier and normal though if a baby poops a lot rather then not poop.
    Anonymous

• No I wouldnt think it would make much difference.

Explosive poos can also be a result of swallowing a lot of air as well.

What do you mean by organic baby food anyway? Is she still being fed jar food? That is probably the reason.
    Anonymous

• I feed my son organic cereal, organic formula and organic foods and this is not a side effect. Not one I have ever come across at least. My son has had constipation issues since birth and being on organic everything has not made his stools loose ever.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:17 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• it's more likely caused by the type of food the baby is eating, not the organic aspect of it.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 5:15 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Yes she is STILL??? being fed baby food..she is ONLY 10 months old! She isn't old enough to be on table food yet. And she eats a little of every type of food. The dr said to stop the stage 3 foods for now cause they have milk product in them...i dunno. Guess I will find out what they think next week soemtime.
    katiebug840204

Answer by katiebug840204 at 10:11 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• My son also gets organic food and had had constipation problems since he was born. He's almost 16 months. I would have to agree that explosive poo is not a side effect of an organic diet.
    sjanel

Answer by sjanel at 9:31 PM on Nov. 23, 2008