I have really thick long curly spiral hair and want a change ~

Any recommendations as to what style to get? Should I do a relaxer?

Peggs11

Asked by Peggs11 at 2:19 PM on Mar. 4, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• I have the same hair as you and was also looking for a new style but I gave up lol.. I don't think you should get a relaxer, it's sooooooooo bad for your hair. Curls are beautiful but I do know that they're a pain in the butt sometimes and other times we just want something new. I didn't want to put any chemicals in my hair so I just had 3 thick braids done into the top of my hairline, but they don't spread all the way to where my ears are( hope that makes sense) good luck!
    Raccoon

Answer by Raccoon at 2:23 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I have similar hair too. Relaxing is a permanent treatment, so before you use a chemical straightener, you should be sure about your decision.

I use a mild relaxer 3 times a year (to treat new growth), just long enough to take the fight out of my otherwise unruly curls. I deep condition once a month, and use a conditioner for chemically treated hair every time I shampoo. I also color my hair and usually straighten it with a flat iron; but sometimes I do one large loose French braid that I leave the curls in for. In summer, I swim almost every day, so I just condition and braid or ponytail it then.

Chemicals don't have to damage your hair. For me, it makes it easier to manage and keep smooth. My hair is thick, healthy, and shiny. I have layers cut in the front, so when straight, it frames my face. If you want a new look, go to a wig shop and 'try on' new styles. That's how I found my long layers. GL :-)
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 3:23 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• for a year ,your curl will desapear you realy have to decide your hairs future. and use reconstructor conditioners and treatments...
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 4:04 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• invest in a good straightener.. or get a looser perm.

i wouldn't do a relaxer.. it wont allow your hair to curl at all.. and its beyond damaging.. .getting a looser curl can tame the curls you have while keeping the volume in your hair and still allowing you to straighten it when you want or curl it when you want.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:27 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• "Chemicals don't have to damage your hair."

lol, yes they do damage your hair.. its how you care for it prior and following that helps it retain its health
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:28 AM on Mar. 5, 2011