Babysitting???

The woman babysitting my twin daughters in her home is real nice and my daughters seem to love her. She is also reasonable,$ 120 a week for both. It's just several times that I have pulled up to get them she is on the computer. Should I say something or just let it go.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:20 PM on Mar. 4, 2011 in General Parenting

• Your daughters are well cared for? Is she ignoring your kids? Is she on there the whole time and your twins are left to fend for themselves?

I think you've got to look at the bigger picture. If an occasional email check or game or whatever it was she was doing isn't impacting the overall relationship between her and your girls, is it really an issue? If she's a good sitter, your girls are well cred for and happy and she's reasonable in fees, why risk ruining the relationship?

When I'm home with my kids, I"m not on them the full time. I actually do check email, take a call, etc. My mom watches the kids when I work. I don't expect her to do anything different than I would. As long as they are well cared for, I don't see the issue.

ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 2:26 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Did she say anything about it? I have an in-home daycare but the kids are all sleeping right now which is why I am cafemom. If they are awake I am not on the computer unless it is a restless, rainy day and I need an extra coloring page or something. I was on the computer once when one of the moms came to pick up her child. She was running late and I wanted to get dinner started but I had to look up the recipe. When she opened the door I felt like a deer in the headlights because I was on the computer and quickly explained I was looking up a recipe. I felt so bad even though the little girl was here passed her scheduled time. If it starts to be a daily thing even if twice a week or so, I would definitely say something. You are paying her to take care of your children. At most jobs you can't be on the computer or phone for fun during work hours.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 2:37 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• are your girls playing contently? or are they running about wildly? do you parent 100% of the time, or do you jump on the computer for a few minutes here and there? She is obviously not hiding anything from you which i would be relieved about. And maybe she's online looking for activites to do with your girls, or reading an educational article on childcare, so i wouldn't jump to conclusions about it. you run the risk of causing friction in the relationship. You need to decide how much of an issue it is with you.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 2:39 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• ok i do babysitting in my home as well. I go on the computer and let the kids play while i am doing things on the computer, it sure beats watching kid shows when i go insane for an hr watching it. I always get up every 10mins to check on them, and if it is quite i check it out too. I have a gate in my living room so no kid can climb up the stairs or get in the kitchen. If someone has to go potty and i am on the computer or busy doing something i always let them out to go. I make snacks for them, and put them to bed for a nap.
    and yesterday the kid i babysit for was sick, i stayed with him until mommy came on got him
    Am i a bad babysitter then if i am on the computer.
    She is taking care of them and if she was not ur daughters would say so. They would probably say mommy babysitter didn' t play with us or give us what we needed.
    2boysyahoo.com

Answer by 2boysyahoo.com at 2:58 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• arent you on the computer? The pot callng the kettle black?
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 3:31 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Jolee-I am not being paid not watchmy kids thank you very much. I was always told if you don't have anything nice to say don't say nothing at all.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:43 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I would let it go, technology is just every where these days. I see teachers on there cellphones during school hours.. checking facebook and what not..
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 6:47 PM on Mar. 4, 2011