Dont know if I should say anything or keep my mouth shut. adult content

So I did a trade through craigslist with this lady and we traded strollers. She also had some clothes for trade because my stroller was worth more than hers.I went there and first off it smelt like piss and just dirty. There was no food that I could see and there were flies everywhere. she had 3 kids ages 4 1/2, 2 1/2 and 8 months. she met me outside like down the street and I didnt realize the kids had been left alone for what seemed like 30 mins because he husband kept calling her and so she was talking outside while I waited for her to finish her conversations. Then I go up to her apt and the three kids were sharing a room and the baby was in his crib screaming his head off and the 2 1/2 year old was climbing shelves and on top tvs. and the 4 year old was playing with something. it was so digusting and the kids had no cloths on and it was like 30 degrees outside and inside her apt. there was no electricity. I felt so bad. I was there for like an hour going through clothes and he baby was still screaming and she just kept him on the floor not paying attention or feeding him. The older kids were super skinny and the 2 year old had a bad saggy diaper. I want to call cps but dont know if I have the right to. I just feel so bad for those kids. should I just keep my mouth shut? or contact cps and say something.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:21 PM on Mar. 4, 2011 in General Parenting

• I would mind my business.
    prettyinink2011

Answer by prettyinink2011 at 2:22 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I would call. Those babies need to be looked after. Better to be safe than sorry.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:23 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• If they are on hard time then I would maybe contact some churches and see if someone cant go there and help them. If they are just dirty in general and not good parents then you can call cps. In these times those many people are living in hard situations. We have alot of them in my area and we have churches who help them get their lights on, give them food, clothes and all of that. I would try that first and maybe just check in on them in a couple weeks and see if anythings changed.

Answer by gemgem at 2:23 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• well first of all i would not have stayed there for an hour going through clothes if the place was that disgusting,no offense just saying. and if it was that bad yea i think i would have to call someone and report it
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 2:24 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• So how did she post her ad on Craigslist without electricity?  I agree, I would mind my own business.  You didn't spend enough time there to make an accurant judgment.  That's just my opinion.  You should do what you feel is the right thing to do. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 2:24 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Thats a tough question.. but i think i would say something.. but anonymously. I have a very guilty conscience and it would bother me
    navajomama7

Answer by navajomama7 at 2:25 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• The problem is that in our area the gov provides, clothing, CASH and food stamps so there is no reason. I am in hard times too but I make sure there is always clothes and food for my child. I am on food stamps but i use coupons to help save money to make them last longer. I also make sure I always have diapers too. I only get $40 a week for unemployment so I am sure she can get food and all that she is just lazy and is always on her phone. Maybe get rid of your expensive internet based smart phone blackberry and get some clothes and food for your kids.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:27 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I would call if you are concerned. Anyone has the right to call and if it is not warrented then its not a biig deal. just tell what you told us. Cps can not and will not tell the family whoo made the call so dont worry about that.
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 2:28 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I would first, offer to help. Maybe help her in a way that she doesn't know. Like drop off diapers on her step. You know something you could do, whatever that may be. And if you are really feeling like you could help her I would continue to do little things like that. Sometimes all people need is a little kindness and compassion. But if you feel now or ever, that these children are in daanger then yes I would contact DCFS and tell them you would just like them to evaluate the situation. This may be their only hope in that way. Good luck
    Kelly2573

Answer by Kelly2573 at 2:29 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• to mrs houston she replies to my emails through her phone she was on it the whole time. she doesnt have a computer I saw her entire apt. Also I asked her if she could turn on a light because it was dark and i couldnt see the clothes and she said she doesnt have electricity that is how i know.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:29 PM on Mar. 4, 2011