How can I start a garden? I'm not a green thumb by any means, but love flowers~

Are there certain flowers I should start with? Any that come back yr after yr? Also, what do you use to feed them and how often?

Peggs11

Asked by Peggs11 at 2:22 PM on Mar. 4, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I'm not a green thumb either. What I did was go to my local nursery and talked to one of their "plant people" about which plants were particularly hardly, and wanted perennials (that come back every year). Since we live in an area with lots of deer I also needed plants that were deer resistant. I bought a couple from them (felt like I owed them something all the info!), but then took their info and went to Lowe's and WalMart to buy the majority of my flowers!

Answer by missanc at 2:30 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Go to an actual garden store, not walmart, cause walmart employees may have some knowledge but not as much as a real nursery. So go in there, and ask for some advice and tips on low maintenance flowers to start, and what kind of flowers you can use in full sun or part time shade or full time shade, what needs alot of water and care and what needs low maintenance
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 2:34 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Go to a nursery, not a Home Depot type nursery - Find out what kinds of plants or vegetables grow well in your area and which ones are easy to grow - Start with easy to care for plants, then work your way into the more sensitve or "needy" plants. Good luck and have fun!
    texassahm

Answer by texassahm at 1:39 AM on Mar. 6, 2011