Hand me downs

Do you accept them? If you do, do you pick and choose what you get or who you take from? Or do you take whatver you can get? Or, do you not like hand me downs at all?

My son is 3, and I swear, I've hardly ever had to buy him any clothes. Between family members spoiling him with gifts and family members/friends giving us boxes of hand-me-downs, I've usually only ever bought what he needed (on rare occasions) or what I couldn't resist. You could almost consider my accepting hand-me-downs as a bad habit - I've taken everything from people who'd bring stuff by, no matter how junky it might be! I've downsized a lot and passed a lot on, though, so it's not so bad.

AdensMama0308

Asked by AdensMama0308 at 2:24 PM on Mar. 4, 2011 in Just for Fun

• I always accept hand me downs. But I have learned to be choosy with the ones I keep. I usually go through the stuff with in the first day, wash and keep the ones I want for my boys and throw away the stained ones and put the rest in the car for goodwill.

I only keep ones that are a style I would put on my child and that are in really good condition.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:28 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I dont really get many hand me downs. The only time we do is when my oldest dd is given clothes by her inlaws and they are never in the sizes she needs but always in her sisters (my youngest dds) size lol. I pick and choose through them. I dont like alot of clutter and if something is not fashionable for the year or she has too many of something I give them back to my dd, and she gets rid of them.

I have never been big on hand me downs. I always feel people might give me too much and then its clutter. Now like I said it isnt an issue. I mostly buy all my kids their clothes besides gifts at Christmas & Birthdays & just whenever grandma & grandpa want to buy lol. Even then they know Im picky about clothes. I do always have hand me downs & no limit on friends & family who want them. For now I give my dds clothes to my cousins dd. Shes picky on clothes too and is having a hard time financially.

Answer by gemgem at 2:28 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I usually take whatever people offer. I then pick out what we need and freecycle the rest. I enjoy getting hand me downs. I think it is fun to look through all the clothes. Dh thinks that I am crazy. But we definitely save a lot of money by using them.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 2:28 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I do what you do-I take it all and then ask them if they mind if I give some to my friend's son because he's close to the same age and size. Most of the time, they don't care.

metalhealthmom

Answer by metalhealthmom at 2:29 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I love hand me downs but usually only take them from friends. You keep what you like and pass on the rest. I"ve also bought gently used clothes. And I pass down after my kids are done with things. Figured I would return the favor to another family.
    AntoinetteF

Answer by AntoinetteF at 2:31 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Only from close family members. My aunt has a son thats a year older than mine so ninety percent of my stuff is hers. She keeps her things in really good condition so I'm lucky. I wouldn't accept in from people I didn't know and I would not buy used clothes. After I'm done I usually pass it along to and it works out really well and saves a ton of money.
    gutterflower585

Answer by gutterflower585 at 2:31 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• i take handy me downs too, and i buy used clothes too. I love to go rummage sale shopping, and go to a place called Kids gear or even GOOD WILL. The only thing i would never buy used or even handy me downs is underwear, socks, or shoes.
    I am not picky on it, and eventually i sell them myself.
    i don't see the point of spending 25 dollars or more on a pair of kid jeans when they probally will only wear once or twice, even with shirts. Kids grow out of them so fast that they barley have time to get the clothes dirty. my cousin on the other hand hates hand me downs or even used clothing but when we don't make a lot of money i would rather spend 5dollars on a pair of jean instead of 25
    2boysyahoo.com

Answer by 2boysyahoo.com at 2:31 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I prefer new and if anyone wants to 'give' me clothes I will go through them and usually donate them..unless they're like new. We only have one child and we want him to have the best.
    prettyinink2011

Answer by prettyinink2011 at 2:27 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Going with a more mellow color this time, lol.  No I don't accept them.  That makes me feel guilty just thinking about it.  Those clothes or whatever could be going to someone who actually needs them.  My kids have more than enough, I think it would be greedy on my part.  On the other hand, I have had to accept hand me downs and been damn grateful for them.  Now it's me passing them on and it feels good to give back.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 2:27 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I should add that I consider myself lucky that I have people with boys older than my son. I can't afford to buy him new things. He's spoiled only by family members and friends... never by me.
    AdensMama0308

Comment by AdensMama0308 (original poster) at 2:30 PM on Mar. 4, 2011