I am breastfeeding and mty right breast is starting to look smaller then my left! why does this happen? and what can i do to fix it???

DaniMa

Asked by DaniMa at 2:31 PM on Mar. 4, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Your right breast doesn't produce as much milk as your left breast. Whether it is because it just doesn't produce enough in general, your baby doesn't prefer that breast and isn't latching on properly, or something of that nature. You can try encouraging milk down by having the baby feed on that breast longer or you can pump on that side in between feedings to help encourage the milk down.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:35 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• In case you haven't noticed, anything on your body that there is two of never looks identical. Same goes for boobs. As long as you're feeding from both (whether it's every feed or alternating) you shouldn't worry about it. It's possible that the right one isn't producing quite as much as the left, or maybe the left one has a slower let down than the right, meaning the left one will retain more milk. But generally, like I said, nothing to be worried about.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 2:40 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• im not too worried. just mostly embarrassed. its just that they are REALLY not even close to the same size and i just feel self conscious. my husband says he doesn't notice but i no he does and in bed i notice him favoring the bigger one. i have to stuff one side of my bra just to get clothes to fit right. i have tried letting her feed longer on that one and pumping it but that doesnt seem to do much at all. even when its full to the brim its still smaller. i wasn't lop sided before will i always be uneven now?
    DaniMa

Comment by DaniMa (original poster) at 2:43 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• YOU may forever notice a difference. I do, eleven years later. Offer the smaller side but don't worr about it. Take your husband at his word.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:13 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• been there....still there 30 yrs later!

Answer by admckenzie at 11:41 AM on Mar. 5, 2011