14 year old and birth control

My 14 year old cousin asked her mom if she could go on birth control. My aunt said no but I feel that if she is asking to go on birth control, she is either having sex or is planning too so I think my aunt should go along with it. In our state, you have to be 16 years or older to get on birth control without parental consent. Opinions????

JLS2388

Asked by JLS2388 at 2:31 PM on Mar. 4, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I asked for BC at 12 but mine was due to extreme periods. I think that her Mom may need to take a better look at the situation. BC pills are not a license to have sex but they certainly will help protect her if she decide to have adult relations at such a young age.
    coala

Answer by coala at 2:33 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• i think she should abstain, but she's a teen and probably wont. i think it's time for a long talk with information on condoms and std's. she deserves to know the facts about it.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 2:33 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• If mom says no I would take her dd aside and ask her why she wants them. If she is sexually active then I would talk to her and see if she needs condoms or anything else like that. Obviously Id also tell her sex is something she should hold off on, but if shes already doing it she probably wont care what anyone says. When my dd got sexually active she came and told me. I had always told her she could and she was put on the bill and given condoms. I think its important our girls learn how to take care of their bodies and keep themselves safe then just automatically say no.

Answer by gemgem at 2:34 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I wouldn't agree to the birth control but I think that the discussion of birth control and options along with the risks associated with sexually transmitted diseases and unwanted pregnancy with the doctor is an absolute must at this point. That would be an appointment that your aunt and her daughter should be at.
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 2:34 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I wouldn't put my daughter on birth control, I would want her to use condoms to be protected against STDs as well as pregnancy. STDs are rampants among sexually active teens, but all many parents think about is that they don't want their daughter to get pregnant.

Answer by missanc at 2:39 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• she is definitely thinking about or having sex which is really scary but that's they way our society is today and young girls think that everyone is doing it and so should they. we cant stop media influences like this new show Skins on MTV which depicts teenagers having sex and doing drugs. but we can help educate them about the dangers of this type of behavior and that the consequences are not as fun as the activities. this is an age old debate...if you give her BC she thinks its ok to have sex and its like you are giving her the green light to do so. If you don't give her BC then she will do it anyways and possible get pregnant. NO MATTER WHAT if she is asking for BC then SHE WILL HAVE SEX nothing you can do will stop her short of locking her in the house and throwing away the key.
    I say give her condoms or put her on BC but have a VERY lengthy discussion about how having sex IS NOT AS COOL AS IT LOOKS and to wait longer
    DaniMa

Answer by DaniMa at 2:39 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• If she is going to have sex, which it sounds like she is, she will need both condoms and the pill. Condoms are only 87% effective. That's a 13% chance of getting pregnant OR getting an STD. I would def talk to her and do LOTs of education about STDs, pregnancy, and the emotional aspects of sex. She deserves to know it all. Regardless, she will make her own decision and if it was my dtr I would get her on the pill AFTER long talks about why and wiTh who, too
    Danyellimom

Answer by Danyellimom at 2:53 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I would talk to her or atleast tell your aunt she should talk to her...I went on bc at 14 bc I was having painful periods. I actually asked my mom bc I was tired of the pain, and super tired of just randomally starting during school with no pads with me (and i bled heavily so i usually bleed through). If she is having sex or thinking about it tell her even if she is on the pill she should still use condoms. Let her know that bc will protect her from pregnancies but not stds. Good-luck!!!
    ramita

Answer by ramita at 3:01 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I have 4 girls and if they ask for it, ( and I will tell them to when they are ready) and no I do not encourage sex in teens, ut I will give it o them by 12! Iwas acive at 12, and had my son at 16, and i wish I would have a BC! Not that i would take him back, but it could have been prevented! Beter safe than sorry IMHO
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 3:22 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I would tell her to just take her cause shes definitely planning if she haven't already or like gemgem said you pull her side and talk to her.
    Unique11

Answer by Unique11 at 3:32 PM on Mar. 4, 2011