American vs. Native American

Here's something to chew on...do you realize that American Indians are the ONLY people who can claim to be Native American? I mean NO disrespect here. Just pointing out something. So, please don't bash. I was born & raised here. Yet, on any census, application, etc..I'm not a Native American? Then, what am I? White or Caucasion is not a nationality. Yes, I'm a U.S. Citizen. But, anyone who comes to this country can become a "citizen". I'm talking nationality, here. American-born people are the only people who cannot claim to be native to their own country (unless they're American Indian).

specialwingz

Asked by specialwingz at 2:34 PM on Mar. 4, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• So just call them aboriginals if you want to be called native. You do have a point.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:00 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Doesn't bother me. I'm still American.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 2:36 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• When I hear the word american, I think of anyone who was born in america. When I hear native american I think of the american indians who were the indigenous population of this land.

I guess if you think about it, the term american isn't exclusive to the U.S. Canada and Mexico are in the americas as well. Then we have South America and North America too. Anyone from these places can call themselves american and not be entirely wrong, just less specific.
    Raccoon

Answer by Raccoon at 3:17 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Well, I am

American
    Native Texan
    and Native American....but as far as I am concerned I am simply an American.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 4:15 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• @Raccoon - I'm glad you made that point. I've been told by many people from S. America that they consider us very arrogant walking around calling ourselves "Americans" as if we're the only one's. Notice when you hear/speak the Spanish language they specify if you're North; Central or South American.

We're also one of the only 'nations' to not have a proper name. United States of America is technically a description; not a name like Germany or France; or even the 'United Kingdom' is comprised of named nations (England; Ireland; Scotland)
    It's sort of goes back to the founding of the country. See they by the time they got around to creating a nation/country - people already considered themselves Virginians; or Carolinian's; or etc al - they didn't have the concept of being 'American's' for some time - even after the Revolution they still were pretty set in their state loyalties and ties...
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 4:48 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I don't call myself Native American. I am an American. Period
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:44 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I do not have any Native American ancestors, but my ancestors arrived in America in 1635 (maternal grandfather's line)...and one married into Peregrine White's family (first baby born on the Mayflower), so I consider myself as American as one can be! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:47 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Even though Native American is generally the PC term to use these days, I have heard of people preferring to be called American Indian because they say anyone born in American is a Native American. They said that they accept America as a place and Indios means 'children of God' so they're fine with that name in general. Others find Indios derogatory. It just depends on preferences, I guess. As someone above pointed out, many groups go by different names than we call them--like Eskimo means something like raw meat eater and was derogatory. They call themselves Inuit. I don't know what term would be better than Native American or American Indian, but it seemed to me that many were fine with American Indian (at least that's the impression I got from some Anthropologists in the past). Maybe something like Indigenous American would be better? I don't know.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 7:43 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• That's why I don't like a lot of "pc" terms. African American bugs me too, only because it is generally used in place of black. Not all people who are black are African. Maybe the term "Native AMerican" should be changed to "original American" or "first AMericans" instead. It's closer to the point I believe is being attempted.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 8:07 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• "White and Caucasion isn't even a nationality." - I do believe I said that in my original post. And, Native Americans are hardly excluded. They have more benefits than the rest of the Americans. They have their own land governed by only themselves. They have funds that nobody else can see or touch. They own the majority of the casinoes in the country (Vegas excluded) and they get 100% of the proceeds. So, NO, they are NOT excluded.
    specialwingz

Comment by specialwingz (original poster) at 2:52 PM on Mar. 4, 2011