College and working??

Ok so hubby is going to community college next month. He has a chance of getting a work study program but not 100% sure so if he gets that no problems. If he can't get one he doesn't think he can go full time school and then work as well (he stresses easily) and it is important with the grant he got that he doesn't fail because then he will have to pay back the grant money. That means I would possilby have to get a job when he is not at school (daycare is not an option at all for many reasons)if I can find one ... I have been looking off and on for the last year and I can't even find a part time job because no place likes that I haven't worked in 5 years (sahm when hubby had a job) so that counts against me.
I was wondering how everyone balances the house the kids and such while 1 is working and 1 is in college. I am excited but scared and nervous for next month!!

baby1love

Asked by baby1love at 2:37 PM on Mar. 4, 2011 in Relationships

• It can be done. If you know that he stresses easily then you should try to lessen the amount of stress that he has to take on until he is finished with school. I hope that all works out for you. In the meantime there are seasonal type jobs that you can get that you can work in the evening while he is at home. Home Depot and Lowes are hiring for the spring and Summer and if you do a great job you may get to keep the job longer.
    coala

Answer by coala at 2:40 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I was a single parent of 3 while going to school full time and working part time. It can be done - you just have to be creative! And learn to survive on little sleep! The thing about going to school is, it's only for a period of time. That's how I looked at it . . . "I only have to do this for X amount of time" I get through lots of stuff that way! Have you tried a temp agency? I know several of my friends who have started out as a temp and then gone permanent with a company.

Answer by missanc at 2:47 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• When I went back to college as an adult for an additional degree, I did it all. Oh, hubby said he'd help but he was never able to put his money where his mouth was. I worked full-time, was responsible for the house and children, and maintained a straight-A average. I did it by giving up sleep, doing homework during my lunch hours, etc. I was enrolled in an accelerated program so I was able to do a semester's worth of work in 5-week increments for each class.

When hubby went back to college, well, let's just say he's a man and cannot multitask. He went to work, and he went to school. That's it. If your husband is stressing, it sounds like you would need to stay exactly where you're at; your working may be too much ... for both of you. Do you HAVE to go back to work in such a scenario?
    Anonymous

• Well I was a single parent and I knew I couldn't be a full time parent a full time student and a full time employee. I only did school part time and cut back on my hours at work to only work part time. Being a parent was my #1 so i build the rest around that. It meant living on a lot less and making sacrifices... and it took me longer with school but it was still worth it because those years with my daughter I knew I'd never get back and it just wasn't worth it to go full steam on everything and miss out just so I could have better quicker.

That's just me though and again I was by myself I might have done it differently if I had a real partner.
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 4:57 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• i went to school full time (graduated with honors), worked a full time AND part time job, and managed to take care of my family and home all at the same time....it CAN be done, you just have to make sacrifices...your husband may have to get a part time job as well as you get a part time job...if your child(ren) have to go to daycare a couple days a week, then so be it. with the job market/economy like it is right now, you should both be happy just to find a job period. working 70+hrs a week and taking 16-18 hrs of classes while taking care of a toddler and a home was not my ideal situation, but i just did what i had to do.
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 10:44 PM on Mar. 4, 2011