Moving to a new house. Who gets bigger room? Baby or stepson?? Help!!

My husband and I are buying a new house and will close on that house on March 14th!! The issue is that we just adopted a 5 month old baby and will be bringing him home March 9th! I also have a stepson that is here every other weekend.. My dilemma is that the house we're buying has three bedrooms. One of which will be ours and one large room and one smaller room. Which of the kids gets the bigger room? I'm torn on this because on one hand, I feel like it makes more sense to give it to the baby. He'll be there all the time and has alot more furniture, toys, and things. On the other hand, I want my stepson to have it because he's the older child. But all he has is a bed, TV, dresser and a small toybox so half of the room would be completely empty. I dont want to make my stepson feel left out but I also dont want my baby that is there all the time, having an extremely small room with nowhere to put anything. Does that make sense? If this was you, what would you do??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:47 PM on Mar. 4, 2011 in General Parenting

• I would go by the amount of stuff each child has.  Whoever has the most stuff, gets the bigger room.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 2:49 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• i don't know the age of your ss, but your baby isn't going to need a bunch of room for a while..where as your ss will, at least until he's past the every-other-weekend age. i'd give the larger room to the older child.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 2:49 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• How old is the stepson?
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:49 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I would give it to the baby.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 2:49 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• My SS is 10.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:50 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I understand your dilemma..and I would probably feel the same way you do. SO...ask your husband what he thinks..let him make the decision so its out of your hands and you won't feel any pressure or "guilt" if the baby gets the bigger room. Chances are..your stepson won't be bothered by which room he gets. And don't forget..he already has a room of his very own at his moms house, right?
    Good Luck..I know its not easy...
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:50 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• i would say the baby especially if they will be there full time. but if the step son was there full time since im assuming he is older i would say him
    newlife627

Answer by newlife627 at 2:51 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I would say the step son except for the fact that he's only there twice a month. The baby should have it in this case.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 2:51 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I would give the baby the bigger room, as he will be living there full time, and with the crib, nursery furniture, toys... he will probably need the space more than your step-son.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 2:52 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• discuss it with your ss. If you feel that baby needs the bigger room make sure everybody is on the same page. I would sit ss down in his new room and talk about how he wants it furnished and what theme he would like in his bedroom. Maybe go shopping together for new bedding and such
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 2:54 PM on Mar. 4, 2011