Do you agree, if it weren't for gov't assistance most kids from single parent homes would starve to death and never have health care?

In an interview with conservative radio host Michael Medved, the former Arkansas governor and potential 2012 presidential hopeful slammed Portman for glamorizing unwed pregnancy.

Portman is expecting her first child with her fiancé, Benjamin Millepied, a choreographer whom she met on the set of "Black Swan." Her critically lauded performance in the film made her a staple on the red carpet this award season, culminating in her Academy Award win for Best Actress on Sunday.

While Huckabee praised Portman as a "very brilliant and admirable actress," he suggested her pregnancy sends a bad message to the country.

"She got up, she was very visibly pregnant, and it's really it's a problem because she's about seven months pregnant, it's her first pregnancy, and she and the baby's father aren't married, and before two billion people, Natalie Portman says, 'Oh I want to thank my love and he's given me the most wonderful gift,'" Huckabee told Medved, per the liberal group MediaMatters. "He didn't give her the most wonderful gift, which would be a wedding ring! And it just seems to me that sending that kind of message is problematic."

The former governor, who is also a pundit on Fox News, called Portman's pregnancy "troubling" and suggested it might "glorify and glamorize" the idea of having children outside of marriage. He argued that most single mothers aren't in the same position as Portman in terms of her lifestyle and resources.

"There aren't really a lot of single moms out there who are making millions of dollars every year for being in a movie," Huckabee said. "And I think it gives a distorted image … Most single moms are very poor, uneducated, can't get a job, and if it weren't for government assistance, their kids would be starving to death and never have health care. And that's the story that we're not seeing."

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 3:16 PM on Mar. 4, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Um no.  I certainly do NOT agree.  I've known plenty of single women in my lifetime who are doing a damn fine job on their own without any assistance period. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 3:17 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I agree, this is why those that are poor keep having babies, because they know the govt will assist.

Answer by older at 3:18 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I am not saying that all need assistance, there are some women out there that are single and making it just fine, but a lot of those have some kind of skill or training or some sort of education to make it so.

Answer by older at 3:20 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• No I dont agree all single moms are dirt poor. Thats silly. I do believe whenever possible if the parents can get married and love one another then they should. Natalie Portman is not really that young anymore so it isnt like she is setting an example for teenagers or anything like that. I have more of a problem when a high profile teen does it because I think it sets a bad example to other teens who may not have the same advantages.
    I was raised by a single mom and had quite the opposite experience. I had alot more then some of my friends whose parents were married because my mom was well educated & had a good paying job. I dont remember ever being on Govt assistance.

Answer by gemgem at 3:20 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I think his attack on Natalie Portman is absurd, and I don't know about most, but YES a whole lot of kids living with single mothers would be in for a very difficult time without public assistance.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 3:21 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Maybe some but not all. My mother raised my brother and I on her own and we had way more than most of the kids at school and most of them came from 2 parent homes.
    Raccoon

Answer by Raccoon at 3:22 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I agree that Portman is sending a bad message. Pregnancy out of wedlock, though it does happen, is not something that should be glamorized.

I disagree that these children would be starving and without healthcare. If there were no govt. programs, either the families would step in and help raise the child or the child would have been placed for adoption to a loving home. The govt. programs make it easier for these poor, uneducated, unwed women to keep their children rather than give them to families better able to provide for them. These programs ensure that the women and children are trapped in a cycle of poverty.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 3:25 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Yes and I also think all single mothers smoke crack too.

Figure may as well get that in there too.

Are there some single mothers out there like that? Yes of course but those are the ones that would be in the same spot regardless of Portmans status.
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 3:26 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I agree with the general gist of what he's saying. We can all name examples that defy the statements he made. But the general idea he was trying to get across is the single motherhood is a tough, tough road that shouldn't be taken lightly like it seems to be these days. Less young single mothers would more more education and less poverty.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 3:26 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

yea, damn oscar winner,,,she should have not picked up her award and stayed in hiding....**extreme eye rolling

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 3:28 PM on Mar. 4, 2011