Is Child and Family Education a smart AA degree choice?

I'm in school and struggling with my major. Not academically but in terms of what I'll do with it in the long term. I am debating switching to CFE from Sociology.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:21 PM on Mar. 4, 2011 in

• After much discussion about this very issue, I find that the most lucrative AA would either be nursing OR business. Unless you are planning a masters or doctorate, things like psych, soc, counseling, etc, will not help you very much in the job market.

(This comes to you from a BA psych and MA counseling) . . . . and when I see my colleagues struggling financially, and taking low-paying jobs, it makes me wonder why we all didn't go nursing or business. That being said, between your 2 choices, AA in CFE will serve you better job-wise

ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 3:28 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Thank you. That helps a lot.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:29 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I can't imagine there being many jobs that require this degree. I would make an appointment with a guidance counselor at the college you are planning to attend.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:47 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I'm IN school rko, as a soc major. Yes, I plan to see a counselor.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:50 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Honestly, you probably want to get a Bachelor's at least in order to get any job in counseling.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 10:16 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Lol, yes, I know that but I never said I was going to be a counselor. I said I was going to see my school counselor. And I plan to get a BA, I'm just struggling as far as in what.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:38 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I read the first reply sorry...but it really doesn't matter what your AA is in...as long as you take education classes you can transfer into a 4 year BA program...
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 3:11 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• You might want to take a look at this website for info on the outlook for jobs in different fields. Good luck in school.

http://www.bls.gov/oco/

elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:03 PM on Mar. 11, 2011