If your kids can't talk, is it too early for time out?

My son is almost two and doesn't talk yet. But he knows what no means. Is it too soon to give him time out? I'm not sure he understands it. How else do you discipline a kid his age in a way they'll understand? :\

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:31 PM on Mar. 4, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• There is never a "right" answer to discipline.  Just do what works for you.  We started disciplining when we KNEW our children could understand the word NO.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 3:32 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Oh and at 2 we have done time outs and redirection, depending on what was going on.  Every situation is different. 

MrsHouston47302

• just because he doesn't talk much, doesn't mean he doesn't understand ;) give it a try and see what happens. explain everything to him so he knows he did something wrong and this is what happens. my oldest was very stubborn with time-outs when she was 2, she would not sit there so i had to keep getting up and putting her back in the same spot. eventually she realized mommy could play this game all day, but she wasn't moving out of that spot until i said it was okay. consistency is the key, no matter which discipline method you choose.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:34 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• My son had time outs before he could speak. He knew what I was saying, he just couldn't say it back.

If he hit or bit I would say "No hitting, you go sit in time out." and he would go sit in the hallway for a time out. Then after a minute I would go over and say again, "No hitting, you say sorry and give a hug and kiss please." and he'd hug and kiss me.

As he got older and started speaking, he could say sorry for whatever got him in time out. The hitting stopped after about a week of time outs.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 3:35 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• No, it's not too early. We started with our twins at 17 months, and they understood very well. Think about it this way, you wouldn't put off training a dog until he learned to talk, and your child is way smarter than a dog.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 3:38 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I've got a niece that's the same way. She just started talking a little and she's two. She knows what things mean too. You can ask her to do something and she'll go do it, things like that.

She's getting time outs now even though she doesn't talk much, but you can tell she gets the point.
    Anonymous

• Well i thnk the punish chair is what i like. my son is not talking either but is very smart for his age and understandes every thign that i say. so when i say no and he does it again he know hes wrong because he sneaks to do it. and when i say get in your chair untill i say you can get up. He sit there .
    BUTTERFLY463

Answer by BUTTERFLY463 at 5:04 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• i've always heard to start discipline as soon as they start testing you (around nine months). god bless you for choosing time outs
    ilovemymonsterr

Answer by ilovemymonsterr at 1:09 PM on Mar. 5, 2011