How do you cope with your child's ADHD/ODD?

My husband and I get so frustrated, that sometimes we just sit on the sofa and watch her meltdown.

How do you cope with the tantrums and overall strange behavior?

SnapdragonSMT

Asked by SnapdragonSMT at 3:31 PM on Mar. 4, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• My son (5 in April) also has ADHD. Like thundercat11, I try to keep him busy. But, there are times when he has his meltdowns and I just let him get it out. He does play therapy, has a TSS for school, and a mobile therapist (behavior therapist). No medication at this point. We're also working on getting him into occupational therapy. Hang in there!
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 4:21 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Hello, My 5 year old has adhd and she sometimes drives me up the wall!!! so I feel for you. I try to keep her in sports and as much activity as possible. I find that after the activity, she can focus better. I was also told about fish oil and vitamin d from another mother that has the same issue. I have not asked her peditrician about this, so I can not tell you that a doctor told me to do this. good luck and best wishes.
    thundercat11

Answer by thundercat11 at 3:35 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I know where you are coming from, my dd is ten now but sometimes she is so hard to deal with. Yea sometimes I have to just sit back and let her through her tantrum. I put her in behavier counsiling. Her counsiler comes here and talks with her, it seems to be really working for her.
    Kimberly71682

Answer by Kimberly71682 at 4:17 PM on Mar. 7, 2011