Breastfeeding moms: Dr told me I need to wean...

My baby is not quite 4 months old. I've been breastfeeding her and have ended up in the hospital twice for severe cases of mastitis that required surgery. The first time was at 6 weeks old, the second time at 12 weeks old (the 2nd time I was in the hospital for 3 nights on an IV antibiotic).
I saw the Dr for a follow up today and he told me that as long as I keep nursing her (even if I only nurse her on the healthy side- the infection was in the left breast both times- I'm still nursing her on the right side) I am at a big risk of getting infected again.
If there in anyone who has had a similar experience and was able to keep breastfeeding I'd like to hear your story please.
I am trying to contact my Lactation Consultant but would like to hear from other moms too

elizabiza

Asked by elizabiza at 3:32 PM on Mar. 4, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• That sounds tough... Good luck :(
    MelissaAnn224

Answer by MelissaAnn224 at 3:33 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• join Breastfeeding Moms think some have gone through what you have

Gen

Answer by Gen at 3:49 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I had a terrible time with mastitis. It would hit me every month, preeempted by premenstrual hormones, my ducts would clog . . which would lead to an infection. So, once a month, baby and spent the whole day breastfeeding, while I was in extreme pain, and when baby wasn't latched, I would be heating and massaging . . . that was the only way to unclog the duct. I am a year and a half post-breastfeeding, and still have painful areas in my breasts. The ultrasound says that my ducts (pretty much all of them) are dilated. My doc also told me that some people are just more prone to clogged ducts and infections. Anyways, I now believe that the antibiotics I was out on with my first actually has caused chronic yeast and vulnerability to infection now. If I were to do it again, I would have weaned . . . to save her

ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 3:54 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• We do have a mom on the Breastfeeding Moms group who had to have surgery more than once. She's still nursing.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:12 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I do not know...I will bump you!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 12:43 AM on Mar. 5, 2011