Contemplating a new religion

And no, that isn't a Duran Duran reference! ; )

We are moving in a few months, and it's important to me that my children are raised in the church, however, I don't want them to attend a very strict church where homosexuals are called sinners on a daily basis.

We are Lutheran ELCA but our church is taking a very strict stance against homosexuality. We may have to leave because this is something that my children are not being raised to think is anything different from any other type of family.

Any suggestions?

SnapdragonSMT

Asked by SnapdragonSMT at 3:35 PM on Mar. 4, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I attend a non denominational church they speaks of grace love honor. Depends on where you live .. you may be able to find a non denominational church that teaches similar.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 7:53 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• If you want a service not very different from the Lutheran, try Episcopalean. They've been allowing gay priests, so you may be able to find one that is not as opposed to that lifestyle.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 3:45 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I am Pagan but I enjoy attending my local Unitarian Universalist fellowship. Like you it is important to me for my children to have a background within a church setting. Most congregations are pro-gay as is the religion as a whole. Perhaps your new location will have a local UU church. A good deal of info can be found online.

http://www.uua.org/
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 4:03 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• My attitude has always been that if you don't agree with the major teachings or general beliefs of your current religion, it can't really be your religion. You can't say this is my religion BUT I disagree with it on these points... It doesn't work that way. Which is why there are so many other religions out there. Look around and you'll find one that fits you!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:50 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Try one of those "come in your jeans" laid back non-denominational churches that are popping up everywhere. They typically don't preach fire and brimstone type stuff at all. People within the church may have differing opinions on those types of issues, but in these types of churches that I have been to over the years, it's just not really talked about. They tended to talk more just about love, grace, etc.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 3:38 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I would not change Religion over this maybe the church. Just tell your kids god is the only one that can judge, and god loves all.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 3:43 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Isn't it odd that they don't preach on the Love of God anymore? So many tend to lean toward judgment which isn't our job anyway! My dad was gay and we went to a Baptist church...and they are usually really judgmental. So it' is about the preacher and the congregation. I hope you find a good church with a loving environment. I like the inter-denominational churches now, too

Answer by admckenzie at 3:51 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• agreed, try a non-denominational church. and geesh, im lutheran and my church doesn't ever talk about homosexuality. it all depends on your pastor i guess.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:41 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I was also going to suggest a non-denominational (or interdenominational) church. What's really important, though, is to study your Bible and decide what you believe. You may find you don't agree with the Lutheran church at all, or you may agree more with another church. Good luck!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 3:42 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• You may have to try a couple churches. You never know how the congregation is. You may love the pastor, but not like th congregation. I would try a few churches when you get there and figure it out.

tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 3:43 PM on Mar. 4, 2011