Who else is a nail biter? Ex-nail biter?

Fo me it comes and goes. But it's a habit I can't break! I've been at it a LOT lately (I'm stressed and I think it's making me fidgety), but now it's worse... it's so dry where I am during the winter (and it's still very much winter here) that the skin around my nails starts to peel. So when I bite my nails, that skin ends up breaking and bleeding. Those fingers look awful. I use a cuticle/dry skin cream from Lush on them, and it does help, but with how dry it is here, it doesn't last and I'm back where I started before too long.

Who else bites their nails? What are the circumstances that make you do so?
Is there anyone who used to be a nail biter? How did you make yourself stop?

AdensMama0308

Asked by AdensMama0308 at 3:40 PM on Mar. 4, 2011 in Health

• I used to be a terrible nail biter in my childhood and adolescence until I quit 25 years ago.  Unfortunately you can't quit my way, it's far too drastic lol.  Here is a good tip though, use a nail file to gently rub down the rough edges of the dry and cracked skin before moisturising. 

Are you using Lemony Flutter?  I think Helping Hands or Handy Gurugu would be better for you if you are.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 5:22 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I am the WORST nail bitter. The only time I am not biting my nails is whan I have acrylics... which I can't afford any more... It sucks.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:41 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Eeew not for me. lol My hubs told his cousin something that bothered her so bad she quit right there. He asked her if she was positive she washed her hands that good after she pooped. She gagged for a while and never chewed her nails again.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 3:42 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• i used to do it non stop, then I started painting my nails more and the chips nails bothered me more than the need to bite my nails. now I can go weeks without biting, but if one nail breaks for some reason I will then bite them all off.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 3:43 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I switch between nail biting and knuckle cracking. Hubby hates both. lol.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 3:44 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I'm a nail bitter but not as bad as its been before. I will have periods that I won't bite em at all then other time I will just start bitin because I'm either stressed, anxious or nervous. What I've done in the past is go to nail salon and get fake nails put on so I can't get to ky real ones. It really worked at one point because I had them taken off and my real nails were long and pretty so I didn't want to start biting them to make my hands and fingers look so ugly.
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 3:45 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I used to do it. Then over Thanksgiving 2009 I just stopped and I haven't bitten my nails since. I didn't do anything to make myself stop I just stopped or some reason. I'm sure there is some biological explanation that I just haven't figured out yet but I really don't care if I figure it out. I have nice nails again (except when they break).
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 3:48 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I've bitten my nails since I was a little girl. For me, it's a comfort thing. You know, when I get overwhelmed,stressed, whatever. A lot of times, I just do it watching tv, and don't even realize it, it's so automatic. I doubt there is anything under the sun I haven't tried. It's not quite as bad as it was, I am now on anti-depressants, and in counseling, and it's getting better.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 3:50 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I was a notorious nail biter when I was a child. My mom tried everything to get me to stop. She even put pepper on my hands at one time. Nothing worked. I finally just stopped doing it after I was grown. It may have been that I just got so busy that I didn't have the time to bite them. I really think it's some kind of oral fixation, so you might try putting something else in your mouth--like a mint or a piece of gum or hard candy. It won't hurt to try!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:11 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I am usually a nail biter. Only when I'm pregnant did I NOT bite my nails...and now...I've decided to avoid biting my nails again. This time I've gotten better about it. One hand has nails, the other hand has a few nails recovering from being bitten off...though I guess I'm more a peeler than a biter.
    Imortlmommy

Answer by Imortlmommy at 8:09 PM on Mar. 4, 2011