Any body have child in the 3rd percintle from what drs say?

My 3 year old son was born 3 weeks early by request of my OB because he was so small and she thought he would do better outside. to begin with i told he is small because he is small, and i am only 4ft 11inches without shoes and with shoes i get to 5ft. And my husband is on the average side. At birth my son weighed in at 5lbs 4oz and 18inches. He is now 3 years old and weighs in at 23lbs, 33inches. The dr put him on Pediasusre to see if that will help him and he has been on it since he was 1 and it doesn't seem to be working. She said keep him on it at least until 5 but it won't hurt if he skips it sometimes. he is in the 3rd percientle for weight and hight.
My baby is 5months old and he was born 1 week early and weighed in at 8lbs 30z and 20inche. his last check up was his 4 month one and he weighed then 16lbs 2oz and 26inches long and has so far been in the 75th percenitle.
My 3 year old eats fruits, not much veggies, he eats lot of chicken, and dairy products. But i don't know why is is not gaining much weight. He is very active and is constantly running around.He loves the outdoors and in spring through fall he is outside on nice day playing with boys older than him and 1 his age.
was wondering if anyone else has smaller boys and how u handle having a smaller child, and the younger child is almost as big as his older brother. I mean someone asked me if they were twins, until they realized one is an infant and the other is not

2boysyahoo.com

Asked by 2boysyahoo.com at 3:46 PM on Mar. 4, 2011 in General Parenting

• wow! im going through the same thing.

my 4 y/o is 32 lbs, 41 inches, 2 y/o is 28 lbs, 35 inches! she is catching up fast to her big sister. and my 4 y/o is also in the 3rd percentile for weight. i was told carnation instant breakfast powder, mixed with whole milk, twice a day, WITH meals. honestly, it's not working for her yet. she is also very active, and eats a good variety of food, just very small portions. there's really nothing i can do, i can't force her to eat more if she's full.

dont have much advice, but i can definitely sympathize!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:49 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Does he possibly have a form of dwarfism?
    My cousin's kid is in the 3rd percentile,but that's because he was starved an an infant. He's 30 months now

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:50 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• My 2yr old child is 40lbs, and my neice is who is 4yrs old is like 32lbs. She is legs and bones. She eats everything she can get her hands on lol. Her mom was the same way when she was little. As my sister grew older, about the middle school age is when she picked up her weight. We just figured that my niece will also do the same. I think that long as there is no health issue is involve continue like you are doing. He may pick up he weight later on down the line or he may take after you being small(no offense). GL
    babygirl0782

Answer by babygirl0782 at 3:52 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I've always been told that the actual percentiles isn't as important as the general trend - is he continuously gaining weight and getting taller? My neices have both been hovering around the 3-5% in weight for most of their life, but they have really tall parents (their mom is 6'2" and dad is 6') so they are also in the 75% range for height. This is just normal for them.

Your son is eating and happy and energetic, right? The doctor has never said that anything is wrong with him besides being small, right? I'd try not to worry. There is nothing inherently wrong with being short and skinny. And babies/siblings grow at very different rates. Just do your best to teach them (and whoever else is important to them) to not compare one kid to another.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 3:54 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• No the dr said he doesn't have dwarfism at all, she thinks he will be at least 5ft 8inches or 5ft 3 inches. she did say he probably will hit puberty later than most boys and thats when his bigger growth spurt will probably occur. See i was tested when i was his age for a midget and they told my mom then that i was going to be short at probably never see 5ft at all, they were dead right on me and i am only 4ft 11inches. I asked if he needs to be tested and she said no, she calculated my height with my husbands height and she said this is how tall he will be when he is in puberty , she said most kids are an average height of what mom and dad are
    2boysyahoo.com

Comment by 2boysyahoo.com (original poster) at 3:57 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• to sebbiemama-the dr said he is growing proportionate to his body and said he has no physical things showing that he is a midget or dwarf. My son is eating his foods, and he drinks his Peidasure like he is supposed to. he is very enegergitic and never sits still even when he is eating. i have been telling people not to compare him with his brother or make fun of him. Like his grandpa (my husbands dad) says to him U better start growing ur brother is almost bigger than u. It's not bothering him now, but i am afraid when he gets older like 5 and his brother 3 they will be in the same clothes and his brother will be taller than him. Is he going to get made fun of, and what can i do to make him feel better.I mean its ok for me to be short as i was because i was a girl but for a boy i am afraid other boys will make fun of him on his size
    2boysyahoo.com

Comment by 2boysyahoo.com (original poster) at 4:05 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I'm going through this with my 4 year old too! He is barely 30 lbs, and the same height as my 2 year old- he is completely off the charts at this point! We have been to the geneticist and are currently working with a gastroenterologist, who has confirmed that there is NOTHING wrong with his digestive system. We are now on to the endocrinologist- I have to make an appointment soon. We have tried EVERYTHING to get him to gain weight- Pediasure, Neosure(when he was a baby), appetite stimulant(didn't work), putting cream in his milk, all kinds of things. The genetics people even told me that they thought he was probably just a late bloomer, and that one day he will shoot up. People also ask me if the boys are twins, but look closer and see the difference in age. I tend to want to treat the older child as if he's the same age as my 2 year old, and have to catch myself. I'm trying to make him more independent for preschool.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 4:06 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• My 3.5-year-old son is small, and my 22-month-old daughter isn't--she's only about 5 lbs behind him in weight, and the height difference is completely in the legs. But that's normal for them, has been since birth, so I take it as it is.

I agree with Sebbiemama. General trend is what matters. As long as he's growing/gaining at a steady rate, even if that rate is slow, it should be good. Keep in mind that in order for those growth charts to mean anything, someone has to be at the bottom, just like someone has to be at the top. If everyone were at the top, then it would just mean there was a new low, if that makes any sense. My point is that it doesn't matter. It's not a competition. As long as your son is healthy, there's nothing to worry about. And height/weight isn't something to concern yourself with unless there's a drastic, unexplained change.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 4:06 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Girl...try not to panic. I am barely 5 feet tall, was a tiny child, and my LP is Japanese and is smaller framed. My 5 year old was 5lbs 12oz at birth and they have been convinced since she was born that something was "wrong" because she has always hung in the 0-5th percentile. 2 year old was 7lbs 5oz at birth and she is just "off the charts" small.

I have completely stopped worrying about it. Completely. The truth is they eat...a lot...and they eat a variety of healthy nutritious food (and some that is not so much!). They run like crazy, are active...definitely not "sickly starved kids".

One of the couples I know are nurses and they have both told me that babies are POUNDS heavier than they NEED to be, and that the scales are being constantly adjusted by kids who are bigger and bigger (everybody has to be one percent or another). So if they are eating well and acting fine, I say ignore the doctors unless YOU worry.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 4:10 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Oh, and I will add, that I have also stopped trying all the crazy things they have tried to get me to do to "fatten them up". I have had more than one pediatrician tell me to add butter and cheese everything they eat, fatty meats, etc. Ummm...no way. I grew out of the "skinny kid" eventually and there is no way I want to set them up with bad eating habits. I guess the pediasure at least has nutritional value, but listen to your instincts on this one mama.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 4:14 PM on Mar. 4, 2011