Poop in mouth

My son (7 months old) just learned today how to open his diaper and to my horror he put poopy hands in his mouth. Can this make him sick should I call the doctor?

Asked by Sarahedger at 12:49 PM on Nov. 21, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• lol welcome to motherhood. im sure he is fine it happens to all of us as parents. just watch him to make sure he doesnt get sick but more then likely he wont. next suggestion make sure he has pants on or a onsie lol becuz once they figure they can get the diaper off its never ending

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 1:01 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• call poison control...1-800-222-1222

Answer by robinalbright at 1:01 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Poison control? For poop? lol..

Answer by ZoeKatsMom at 1:15 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• I don;t know about poison control lol. Just keep an eye on him, in case his diet or bms change suddenly. truth is he will probably do worse as he gets older lol.

Answer by mellibelli917 at 1:17 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• My daughter did that, I brushed her teeth really good and prayed the smell would go away soon. It won't make him sick, he'll just be stinky!

Answer by matthewscandi at 1:20 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Hate to say it, but yes it could make him sick. He could contract Rotovirus. Howeever, I wouldn't call poison control or be too worried, just alert. If he gets vomiting, diarrhea and fever, he needs to go to the dr and possible ER. It requires treatment with a high strength antibiotic. Mostly though, it is just one of the gross things kids do. It would be best to keep him in jammies or pants so that he doesn't have an option to his diapers.

Answer by Cheryl_Johns at 2:50 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• I needed that laugh.....can't wait for those moments

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 10:29 PM on Nov. 22, 2008