Have you ever seen this happen before?

My 9 month old has been congested for like 4 months, so he started a new medicine recently. I noticed he was having looser BMs and a little diaper rash and figured it was a side effect of the new medication. (the doctor had warned me the medicine was stronger than the other stuff he has taken). Well last night we got home and he did a little cough and the all of a sudden everything in that little boy's tummy was coming out his mouth. I looked like something off the excorcist I'm not even being sarcastic. He did it THREE times, I have never even seen a DRUNK adult vomit that much... he didnt have a fever and has been completely normal since then... I put a call into the Doc this morning to see if it could have been the med. What do you think?

AMsMommy212

Asked by AMsMommy212 at 12:50 PM on Nov. 21, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes you should call the doctor, diaper rash and vomiting sound like he is having a reaction to the medication

robinalbright

Answer by robinalbright at 12:52 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• I did.. they close at 12 so I cant get him in until tomorrow morning... My mom thinks its a bug
    AMsMommy212

Answer by AMsMommy212 at 1:05 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Medication.

I would stop that now...and find alternatives.
    Anonymous

• oh yeah I stopped the medicine!! I was just curious about the gallon of vomit.. i've never seen anything like that.. freaked me the #&$% out you know?
    AMsMommy212

Answer by AMsMommy212 at 1:33 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• He could have RSV. My son had it when he was 3mo. He never ran a fever, but he did just like yours is doing. But alot of the times you have to TELL the doc. to test for it. I can't tell you how many times i was given the run around until they did the test. Then we were in the hospital for a week. But they say when they get once they build up an immunity and the next time he will just have things like a cold. It is very common to get. Mine got his from a baby at the daycare. Good Luck!
    Brea85

Answer by Brea85 at 2:07 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Yes, it sounds as if he can not tolerate the meds. In addition, the four months of congestion sounds like asthma. I would be looking for more of a breathing treatment than an ingested medication. Medication such as Xopenex is much better tolerated than Albuterol. Just FYI
    Cheryl_Johns

Answer by Cheryl_Johns at 2:45 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• What is the name of the medication? If it is an antibiotic other than amoxicillin then yes it will cause those side effects. My son took a medication I can't exactly remember the name of it but it started with an O and it was in a brown glass bottle. He had diarrhea and vomiting until he finished taking the medication. He even got a really bad diaper rash that we had to get another antiobiotic for. So your best bet is to take him and the medicine to the doctors office. If the doctor says its the medication then he should lower the dosage. And as far as your babies congestion he needs to send you to a specialist so that your son can be checked for asthma or chronic bronchitis.
    kesha263

Answer by kesha263 at 3:45 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• thanks for your answers!! He has seen an allergist and had chest x-rays along with a slew of other medications for the congestion. I hadnt thought of RSV, thank you Ill talk to the doc about it. So far the allergist and his ped are convinced the consistant congestion is just cause he is a baby that goes to daycare.. his blood test have come back basically normal (slightly anemic though) He has an albuteral inhaler with the attachment just in case we find out it is asthma the hard way...

I looked the medicine up.. it is called Aldex DM. It isnt recommended for children under 6 unless prescribed by a doctor so I'm thinking it is some pretty serious shit... Hopefully Ill get more answers in the morning! Thanks Again!!
    AMsMommy212

Answer by AMsMommy212 at 4:56 PM on Nov. 21, 2008