Sort of the same as my last but i don't know how to comfort him when he starts school and kids make fun of him for being so tiny?

My son is 3 and is very tiny. His Peds has ruled out any midgets or dwarfism. He weighs just 23lbs and he is 33 and half inches. His baby brother is 5 months old and weigh close to 17lbs and probably now at 27inches.
He is starting preschool this year but even the teachers question his age until i tell them his birthday.
He is adapting well to it, and people not me but friends of ours and some family members say to him u better start growing ur baby brother is catching up. I mean it's ok now for them to say it, its just when he is like 5 or 6 and i am afraid his self esteem will go down. I tell them not to do it anymore.
But my concern is when he is like in kindergarten and other boys start pushing him, or calling him names. or even worse judgeing that private part size saying mine is bigger than yours type deal. How can i comfort him and make him realize it is ok to be short and he doesn't have to be upset by it.
Or like when his brother is 3 and is the same size as him when he is 5 and wearing the same size clothes. I am afraid then when take him to school and he is getting registered they look at him and his brother and ask which one needs to get registered. I am scared for him

2boysyahoo.com

Asked by 2boysyahoo.com at 4:19 PM on Mar. 4, 2011 in General Parenting

• Oh mama. My son is 6'3 and his best friend cannot be anymore then 5 ft tall. Been this way since they where in elementary school, same age too! He will find a buddy or two or ten. :)
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 4:25 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• My son is smaller than average and he started Kindergarten this year and so far has had no problem. He told me that the kids say hes short but he has a lot of friends.
    bhoward87

Answer by bhoward87 at 4:26 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• awh... Mommy.. I'm sorry.. that sounds so heartbreaking.. and kids DO tend to mean so I understand why you are concerned.. all you can do it just love this little boy to pieces and start talking to him about how every one is made different and the importance of all his great qualities and be there to comfort him on good and bad days..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:28 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Don't create problems that don't exist. He may "catch up" for one. Both girls have already been through kindergarten and there was no pushing around, bullying, name calling. Not even now in 2nd and 1st grade, and my 1st grader has cerebral palsy and walks funny. My son is in preschool and is the smallest in his class(girls included, and he's not the youngest). No teasing or anything...and they certainly don't compare penis size.
    rosesNclovers

Answer by rosesNclovers at 4:38 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• My DS was in the 5th percentile until he was 6 then he shot up to the 20th. He is now, 6 months later closer to the 30th. While he is not the biggest in his class she is by far not the smallest. What I am saying is at 3 being small is not the end all be it. He still has plenty of time to catch up some. While he many never be 'tall' kids come in all shapes and sizes and there are so many things the smaller kids kick but in! He may end but being a bad a** BMX rider or a light weight wrestler. Not to mention swimming and diving!! Don't fret just yet. Focus on the positive!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:40 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• My kids have never been teased in school. Well not in a mean fashion. My oldest daughter has always been small. She embraces it. She was 39.5" and 32lbs when she started kindergarten. Her brother was almost 4 at the time and like 42" and 45-50lbs. She was never teased until the 4th grade and that was by the boys that liked her (you know how boys are). She's 10 now and 4'3" and 50lbs. Her brother is 9 and 4'7" and almost 80lbs. Her sister is 8 and 4'2" and 55lbs (and considered on the small side for her age). Even her 5yo sister is catching up to her. She's always been the shortest kid in her class but now she tells people, "I'm not small, I'm fun sized!"
    My son has always been tall for his age but has had friends of all sizes and has never teased any of them or even though anything about them being small. I wouldn't worry about it unless the problem actually comes up.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:56 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• My kids were always on the small side (they weren't even on the percentile chart for a couple of years) and none of them have been teased for it. I wouldn't assume it is going to be a problem... just wait and see what happens. It may not even be an issue so I wouldn't worry about it until it is.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 5:03 PM on Mar. 4, 2011