My son is 13 months and not walking except with walking toy. any suggestions

catrow

Asked by catrow at 4:48 PM on Mar. 4, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Don't rush it. He'll walk when he's ready.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 4:50 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Let him do his thing, in his own time and don't worry about it. By the time he goes to school, you won't even remember when he walked or talked.
    parajumper3

Answer by parajumper3 at 4:50 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• He could probably walk now without his toy if he wanted to. He may just still feel the need to hold on to something. Not to worry. All is well!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:51 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• i'd suggest not worrying too much :) they all start when they're ready. if you get concerned you can ask a dr but my oldest two were so different. my oldest started walking at 9 months and my 2nd started at 12 months (3rd not walking yet). at the daycare i workat we've had 14 month olds and 16 month olds just starting
    juliness

Answer by juliness at 4:51 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Jump for joy! Most kids don't walk independently until they're 18 months old. That's actually a GOOD thing. Once they learn to walk it's only a matter of days until they learn to run. Once they learn to run your hair will turn gray and you will learn to function with a heart that has stopped beating.

That being said, my son learned to walk a week before his first birthday and my daughter learned to walk at 11 months old. If I could go back in time I'd try to hold them back on the walking until they were older.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 4:58 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• That's perfectly normal. Some children don't walk on their own until they're closer to 18 months. It depends on the child.
    One way I encouraged my son to walk is I sat on the floor, stood him up and let him get his balance. Then I let go of him and encouraged him to walk to me. Sometimes he took a few steps and other times he get down into crawling position and wouldn't try. But eventually he walked to me and has been walking ever since.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:28 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• thats normal. walking can happen anywhere from 9mts-18 mts.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 6:45 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• my daughter walked at 14 months and two months later she's about running around. no worries at all
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 6:56 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• My son didn't walk until 15 1/2 months. Once he started walking there was no stopping him. He had great balance and rarely fell! He'll do it when he's ready! Don't worry!! =)
    KJohnson4762

Answer by KJohnson4762 at 2:02 PM on Mar. 5, 2011