Post-Partum Depression

Is it ever too late to bring up post-partum depression to your OB/GYN? I have heard after the child turns one. Anytime before that is okay? I have set up 3 appointments to see my OB since my son's birth (9 months ago) and they have all been cancelled. I called today because I need to talk to her about PPD and they finally scheduled another appointment. Is it too late to bring this up now?

TeaAndrews

Asked by TeaAndrews at 12:51 PM on Nov. 21, 2008 in Health

• It's never too late to bring up post-partum depression; it can start months or even 1-2 years after giving birth. Post-partum depression can be life-threatening--it is very important for you to get it diagnosed and treated properly.

I have some information on PPD on my web log, healthEwoman. If you have specific questions, I can address them in a post today or here on cafe mom.
    healthEwoman

Answer by healthEwoman at 1:07 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• do you have post PPD? If not there really is nmo reason to speak with your dr about it. i think it's normal to get down every now and then. my daughter will be 17mo tomorrow and i cry every now and then thinking about how fast she has grown, her 1st bday was a little emotional but if you're not sitting in a ball crying all day or depressed a lot over it, it's nothing to worry about
    SMWOODS

Answer by SMWOODS at 12:54 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• I am pretty sure that I have PPD. It is more than just the blues, definitely. I have been trying to schedule to talk to her before, but as I said, they cancelled all 3 of the appointments I set up.
    TeaAndrews

Answer by TeaAndrews at 12:57 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Call another OB if this one isn't  helping. I had PPD and I sought help from my OB who referred me to a therapist AND a Psychiatrist. I do believe I had it will my other two just didn't know wth is was then. It took me three months after I had my last to seek help. This was by far the worst I had it. Do you think about hurting yourself or the baby? I did, and I'm so happy I got the help I needed. Hope you find some help quick.

Anonymous

• I do not ever think about hurting my son, but I am sad all of the time and easily irritated. I called a psychologist today to make an appointment on my own. I kept putting it off, but it is affecting my life, my attitude, and my relationship with my SO. I am having issues with getting into this OB, and I think you are right and it is time to find someone else.
    TeaAndrews

Answer by TeaAndrews at 1:11 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• It is not too late. Go to another ob/gyn if you aren't getting help from this one.

Answer by Bmat at 1:21 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• I am wondering somethiing I have changed completely since my daughter has been born(5 years ago)I never got treated for depression and at times it gets worse,but I will feel embrassed to even see a doctor about it,is there anything I can do on my own to deal with this?Plus I really cant afford it(We recently lost our insurance)
    HealthyMom27

Answer by HealthyMom27 at 3:43 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• I've heard it can definitely last longer than after the baby's first year. I struggled with it too. Message me if you want.
    AndreaSavannah

Answer by AndreaSavannah at 8:14 PM on Nov. 21, 2008