How healthy or not is homemade chili?

I made some chili and thought it was pretty healthy, but my mom said it isn't.

1/2 lb ground beef grease drained
8 cups of beans-pinto, black, kidney
canned tomatoes two large cans, plus a can of rotel
one cup butternut squash
onions, garlic spices

It made a large pot and I eat about one cup as the serving size. I thought it was fine because it had a lot of beans and veggies.

What do you think?

SleepingBeautee

Asked by SleepingBeautee at 5:17 PM on Mar. 4, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Looks awesome! Beans & Veggies are very healthy. In fact the only thing there that isn't really all that healthy (or where you could make healthier choices) is the ground beef, but even that isn't really that bad!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:20 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• how much sodium is in it? That's the only potential issue I see

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:20 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• It sounds healthy. But you still should have a salad or some sort of greens.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 5:20 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Sounds livable to me! LOL!!   I asked a question earlier about a secret ingredient for my chilli, which is sitting on the stove right now.  I added a lot of fun things tonight!  I can't wait to try it!

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 5:21 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• sounds pretty healthy to me----as long as you drain the beef-----you could go to Sparkpeople.com and enter your recipe to see the calorie count---it will also give you a break down on fats, etc. It is a free site----adding the butternut squash is a great way to get in another veggie.
    lecates

Answer by lecates at 5:23 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I served it with sliced red peppers. I have made it with ground turkey instead, but it gave me horrible gas and a yucky weird super full feeling in my stomach. I use to make it with a whole lb of ground beef and less beans and veggies, so I am happy with less beef and more vegs.
    SleepingBeautee

Comment by SleepingBeautee (original poster) at 5:23 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• It's actually very good for you, as long as you don't load it up with sodium. If you're using canned beans, you've got a high-sodium dish, but if you use dried, you're golden. I don't know if there's sodium in canned tomatoes - you'd have to check that one. But as long as you're making it low sodium, she cannot call it unhealthy. You're getting protein, fiber, some fruit/veggie, and carbs.
    Anonymous

• I don't know if it's healthty, but it sure sounds good.
    sydash11

Answer by sydash11 at 5:40 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• SleepingBeautee

Comment by SleepingBeautee (original poster) at 5:41 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Healthy, but would be healthier if you sub ground turkey for ground beef. Sounds yummy though.
    RmeWifey01

Answer by RmeWifey01 at 6:32 PM on Mar. 4, 2011