Heartbreak . . .. Addiction in the family

I am hoping some of you may have some insight or words of wisdom to share: My brother, 30, is addicted to heroin. For the last who-knows-how-many years, it has been a cycle of him asserting he is clean, and then some problem escalating (legal,social) and then him stating he is in withdrawal, hum getting through withdrawal . . . .and then the same thing over and over Again. His friends are in and out of jail and slowly dying off from OD. He is at a withdrawal moment again, and says that he is ready for rehab. So, we call and call and find out that, because of money resources, he doesn't qualify for many programs. He is jobless and does not have insurance. I am scared that this opportunity to get him help will pass and the cycle will start again. It breaks my heart that his life is wasting away but what can I do? I have already set firm boundaries, but watching him waste away is seriously that hardest thing.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:24 PM on Mar. 4, 2011 in Health

• My sister is on meth.  She lives in Arizona.  She left her husband who is also an addict, moved back to Indiana with me, stayed clean.  She got a job, was living clean.  She let her husband come here.  She is now back in Arizona seriously in trouble.  I'm done helping her.  Sometimes you just have to come to the decision to listen and be there but to NOT get involved.  The decisions aren't yours to make.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 5:31 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I lost a loved one 2 weeks ago to an addiction, it is the worst thing in the world to deal with, my heart goes out to you and your brother. I hope he gets the help he needs
    Anonymous

• Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 5:28 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I'm sorry you have to go through this. I guess just keep looking. Its a shame because my neighbors are addicts and they qualify for rehab...but don't use it. Someone like your brother won't qualify but he WOULD use it. ((Hugs)).
    metalhealthmom

Answer by metalhealthmom at 5:33 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Addiction sucks and it sucks even more to try and help someone get clean. Withdrawl is an ugly monster. I've gone through the cycle three times now with a loved one. Makes me wonder if they will ever be clean. I hope something works out for you and your brother soon.
    sydash11

Answer by sydash11 at 5:36 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• It's always easier said than done of course.  Just sharing where I'm at right now.  I still struggle with wanting to send her money.  She'll tell me that they don't have any food.  It's hard.  Very stressful.  But I remember that she made the decision to buy drugs and not food and that the sad reality is that she is probaly not going to spend the money I send on food anyways.  My heart is seriously going for you right now.  My mother was addicted to heroin.  Extremely hard drug.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 5:35 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I am so sorry for what you must be going through. Just keep trying, look up places on the internet, telephone book etc, and do not give up. Sadly he is the only one who can make this change for himself. This is so sad because he wants help and he should be able to get it. I hope and pray you can find someplace willing to take him, and help. Have you tried the hospitals around your way? They may help with the withdrawal and may be able to direct you where you can go to get help.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 6:22 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• That is really good advice MrsHouston . . . .I need to remember that . . .
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:32 PM on Mar. 4, 2011